Best Inexpensive Performance Upgrade for my A3 1.8 T-Sport Quattro?

adamf200

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im sure this has been covered a million times and if so I appologise.
I have a 2000 A3 1.8 T-Sport Quattro and have heard that there is large gains to be had from a relatively inexpensive performance chip?

Is this true?
How much bhp gain?
Cost?
Where from?
Is it the best option to look at?
Any downsides or things to watch out for?
Anything else worth considering?

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:
Thanks, they were usefull, but these threads dont answer all my questions, anyone else got any thoughts please?

Thanks, they were usefull, but these threads dont answer all my questions, anyone else got any thoughts please?

I have one thought on this.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you want better performance, save up the dosh and get it done properly.

Im not looking for cheap, im looking for the best mods to have done properly but not ones that cost £2000! Maybe I worded the thread slightlywrong.
I have just rang R-Tech and they quoted me £250 for a remap that they claim would give me an extra 30bhp and 40l/b torque. How does this sound? What is the standard bhp on my car?

Im not looking for cheap, im looking for the best mods to have done properly but not ones that cost £2000! Maybe I worded the thread slightlywrong.
I have just rang R-Tech and they quoted me £250 for a remap that they claim would give me an extra 30bhp and 40l/b torque. How does this sound? What is the standard bhp on my car?

That sounds good to me matey - remap should be the first thing you do for better performance.

You car will be 180 BHP at the moment - so you can expect around 210 as long as you have a K03S equipped engine. Easiest way to tell will be your engine code...

thing is though, arnt you already looking at diminishing returns seeing as youve started with an a3 quattro and not an S3 or normal a3??

im not sure id even get it under way

thing is though, arnt you already looking at diminishing returns seeing as youve started with an a3 quattro and not an S3 or normal a3??

im not sure id even get it under way

To be fair though dude, I'd get it mapped for the £250. If still unhappy with power after that, it makes it have better resale value at the very least.

It's not the power gain that is impressive, it's the way they drive after being mapped when compared to standard.

OK, I agree, the A3 TQ not the best motor for a starting point, due to having eaten all the pies, but it's a no-lose situation IMO. You can still wind 230 out of the motors with the K03S, which is standard S3 power.

how do you mean by diminishing returns?
I dont have deep pockets and have acquired this car from my wife as I sadly had to trade in my beloved E46 M3 for a family car(C-Class Estate).
She drives the C-class so therefore I want to make the car a little more fun to drive as it will now be my car for the next few years.
I dont want to go to extremes of Stage 2 or anything that drastic but I owuld like it to have a bit more power so as the thread suggests, without spending fortunes what am I best to look at as I dont know a lot about these cars as yet!
Thanks
Adam

See my post above ^^

Matt means that the A3 1.8TQ is a heavy old girl because of the Quattro.

A remap is going to be the best mod you can do to get a noticeable difference in the way it drives, and power. IMO £250 well worth spending.

There are various other bits, such as Front Mounts, Downpipes, exhausts etc, etc, but all these won't make anywhere near as much difference.

If you want a daily driver with a bit of poke, get the map.

Ok great thanks for the advice, I dont expect to get anything to compare with my M3 but hopefully it will make it a bit more fun on a daily basis until I can afford something I really want again.
To be honest, yes the car is heavy and its no M3 but I really like the car and am more than happy to drive it around for the next few years. Will look to get this done asap.

Ok great thanks for the advice, I dont expect to get anything to compare with my M3 but hopefully it will make it a bit more fun on a daily basis until I can afford something I really want again.
To be honest, yes the car is heavy and its no M3 but I really like the car and am more than happy to drive it around for the next few years. Will look to get this done asap.

Good, glad you decided to go with R Tech as well. Good maps by all accounts, and very reasonable. Let us know what you think once it's been done. :thumbsup:

ok.

id remap it. optimise everything else to make the most of it.

spend the rest on bushes, suspension and dampers.

where are you based? see if you can get a ride in a remapped car and see what you make of the improvement.

Sounds good, Im in Leicestershire, how do I find out my engine code by the way?

Ok, my engine code is ARY, what does this mean?
Regards
Adam

Great, so that means with the remap I should expect 210bhp?

That all i plan really is re-map & panel filter. So is the A3 1.8 QT heavier than a S3 ?