Non DBW AMD remap

fod

Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I thnk autocar refered to it as a "sofa" too. Lots of toys, lots of power - but nothing going for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
They tested the S60R last week and described it as one of the most disappointing cars they'd driven for a long time - basically they said at 25k it would make sense, but at 35k, Volvo were extracting the Michael ...

I'll be getting the remap and Milltek cat-back done at AMD soon, and just wanted to know if there was anyone else who has had the same thing done on a non drive-by-wire car like mine (AEB engine)? As I understand it, AMD offer a true remap rather than just a generic chip, but I've always wondered how this can be done on the earlier cars if the tuning isn't done through the port between the front seats. Surely replacing the existing chip limits the adjustment of the map, or can they tune it on the rollers when the new chip is in place? Probably a thick question, and one I should know the answer to, but there we go.

Also, if anyone's had the 'Stage 2' remap & Milltek upgrade by AMD on an AEB engined 1.8T, was it a good choice over say Jabba for example? Did you break the 200BHP barrier? Worth going for the exhaust or not? I know power gains from fitting the Milltek will be minimal, but does it sound the business?

I was going to go for the K04 upgrade, but funds are tight, and patience in the hunt for power is lacking.

Cheers,

Drew.

I have the Full Milltek and it sounds really good motorway driving is all quite and nice until you plant your right foot and a nice husky engine note is heard. Not to lousd just enough to know you have a nice amout of power sitting in front of you.

Cheers Markey. Do you think you've actually gained any torque with the Milltek then? Even if it's nothing on paper, I know that a louder exhaust note can make it feel a bit more responsive if you know what I mean. I don't mind kidding myself!!!

I can't wait to get it all done - the car is just crying out for decent power!

Drew.

Dont know to tell you the truth the main power gain i get comes from the sports cat that i had fitted.
AMD said that the whole thing will give decent gains, shame i did not have it fitted before the Turbo upgrade then i could have seen the before power, with the turbo.

See what you mean. I bet your car flies by the way!

It does i love it would recco the K04 upgrade and remap with extra bits to everyone.

Yeah, was going to go for the group buy, but I ended up having to spend it on boring stuff instead (ie. not my car!) I think in a couple of years I'll be after getting a new motor anyway, something with 250+BHP stock, so I don't want to put too much into this one. As we all know, unless you're lucky enough to sell to somebody who appreciates modifications, you'll never see any of the money again. But hey, that won't stop me getting a 'mild' tune done!

Drew.

Thats unless you buy another audi which im planing on and then im going to just swap all my modded stuff for the standard and sell the standard one.
The insurance is going to be too high for what i want for at least another 4 years anyway so ill have to just keep modifying until there is no more room.

Not sure what I'd get; obviously Audi would rank highly in the list, but maybe something rear-wheel drive could be a possibility. There are so many nice motors to choose from at the moment and I wouldn't know where to start! I must admit, I like the look of the 3.2 A3 with the Votex kit, and one of those with a supercharger conversion would waft along nicely. Always had a soft spot for the old 964/993 Porsches, but it's the upkeep that costs all the money with those cars.

I'll stick to the old Audi for now; it does what I want and it looks pretty good aswell. I'd end up wanting something faster even if I did buy something like an old 911 - it's just the way it goes. I suppose the trick is to be content with what you've got.

"Happier by far is the man who wants what he's got, than the man who gets what he wants."

Some old bloke years ago. Probably.

Hey guys,

I have the AmD Milltek CAT back and Remap upgrade on my '99 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport and they actually fitted the Milltek before they Remapped it. It's 180BHP as standard and the exhaust gave it an extra 13BHP! Ed at Amd said he was surprised how much it had improved just from the exhaust and wasn't sure if he'd even seen another that had done that much just from a pipe. The Remap took it up to 227BHP and 238ft lbs... not bad for now but I'm still hungry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Cheers

Tim

That’s pretty good figures for those couple of mods.

I got my car rolling roaded at Star Performance and got 196bhp and 197lb/ft was well chuffed.

That’s just with a PiperX and a custom exhaust with a supersprint cat replacement pipe.

Since getting it dynoed I want more!! So think the next step is a remap.

Is that on a non-remapped 180? If so you've done well. I'd be well happy if mods like a cat-replacement pipe, exhaust and induction kit got 16 extra horses.

Drew.

Yeah, exciting stuff eh!?

I didn't get the downpipe with mine (at least I don't think I did, I haven't checked! Doh!)

As far as I know you won't get the downpipe unless you asked for it... How much are they charging you? They had to order my Milltek in so unless you specified you wanted the downpipe I don't think you'll be gettin it sonny!

They fit seperately anyway so I've been told, so if you don't get it and want to add it later you can...

Best of luck with it, let us know how it goes dude...