Can a remap cause damage to your engine?

adamf200

Reaction score
Thinking of going to R-Tech to get my 1.8TQ remapped for £250.
Before I book it in I was wondering if there is any downsides to having it done?
Can it put to much load on engine parts or turbo?
Can it cause any damage?
Or is it just all good....?

No, a stage 1 remap is fine. As your car gets older, it is recommended to change the rods as they are feeble.

its obviously putting more strain on things so theres always going to be a higher chance of something going wrong..... stage 1 will be fine, possible chance you will need to change the coil packs or a few other little bits but thats probably one in every 3-4 cars.... even then its only highlighting a weakness and so probably a good diagnostic tool (the stage 1 ;) )

What do you class as an older car?

Heard that rods can go, and I guess a remap will expose any existing weaknesses, but is it worth pre-emptively changing the rods? Is this a bit over-cautious?
Seen sets of forged rods for £300ish, but how many hours labout are required to fit them? Sounds like a proper big job...

Nick at R-Tech is a geniune bloke and he'll advise you on any problems,if you have any reservations phone him and ask him :icon_thumright:

Nick at R-Tech is a geniune bloke and he'll advise you on any problems,if you have any reservations phone him and ask him :icon_thumright:

I'd second this any day. I've spoken to him several times in the past and never found him to be anything other than helpful and honest.

Just got sent a private message from a guy who had read this thread, I personally think its a real cheap shot and a poor way to toute for business so I thought he should be exposed!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, many of thousands of people are more than happy with R-Tech maps and their high level of customer satisfaction.
The "other" company i have never heard of myself and the agent has been warned against touting for business on here before.

If anyone recieves this kind of PM again and is unhappy please use the report PM button and it will be dealt with.

We are in no way affilated with Rtech or the "other " company but will not tolerate slagging off on this forum in public or private
Now on topic, go and get your map done at Rtech or whomever you choose and be happy you did !!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's definately a cheap shot, many people on here and at UKMKIV's rate Nick and R-Tech very highly (me included). They earned their good name through their consistently high customer care. Just have a look at the RR plots of their maps for proof, Nick knows a thing or two about the maps!

I've never heard of Celtic Tuning / APB Performance so won't comment on how good / bad they are but what I do know is Nick does a very thorough inspection of all customers cars BEFORE he remaps them. You won't have a problem with them, give them a go and feedback by letting everyone here know about the service you received.

Normally I would keep private messages private but I thought this guy needed exposing as I didnt like his style!
After reading up on this forum and speaking to R-Tech Im more than happy to give them my business, they seem a fantastic company.

Quality pmls .

Just phone the guy and ask him technical question regarding a 20vT engine and the KKK turbos what is a safe lambda for full load at 6500rpm.
then ask questions about the maps ask him what an ldr map is for and easy one or a little harder what the LDRQ1 LDRQ2 do or summat basic like how may ignition maps the 1.8T me7.5 has and why do the have X amouth of maps and what is the mapped optimum timing map advance and do they change it? Then ask for idependent graphs of there cars making quoted power on another tuners rolling road. And also do they have a rolling road to write maps? or do they just meet customers in the motorway services park like to flash there cars?

For the answers Pm me..lol

i can stand up for r-tech saying the guys there are great definetely know what they are doing, the maps are great, smooth delivery no spikes which means less stress on the engine!
Prices are half of the likes of revo and although revo are highly recommended on here i am thinking R-tech isnt half the map!

Woops @ "Celtic Tuning / APB Performance "

Not a great sales pitch.. backfired somewhat..

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to be able to flash known good codes however, but you do need to have a clue as to the platform of vehicle you are flashing to diagnose stuff when its just not working right. Letting "agents" loose without vetting or training is likely to leave a stain on everyones name involved when it/if turns to worms.

Was'nt there someone else on here saying they were a Celtic tuning "agent"? then asking some pretty fundermental "should know this sh1t" type questions at the same time.. Credibility fail. there too.

PM's are supposed to be private yes, but you should write anything and everything with the mind that someone, somewhere, will use it back at you one day.

Hi to Nick@R-Tech :wave: Hope all is well with you sir.
regards
bill

Woops @ "Celtic Tuning / APB Performance "

Not a great sales pitch.. backfired somewhat..

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to be able to flash known good codes however, but you do need to have a clue as to the platform of vehicle you are flashing to diagnose stuff when its just not working right. Letting "agents" loose without vetting or training is likely to leave a stain on everyones name involved when it/if turns to worms.

Was'nt there someone else on here saying they were a Celtic tuning "agent"? then asking some pretty fundermental "should know this sh1t" type questions at the same time.. Credibility fail. there too.

PM's are supposed to be private yes, but you should write anything and everything with the mind that someone, somewhere, will use it back at you one day.

Hi to Nick@R-Tech :wave: Hope all is well with you sir.
regards
bill

Not too bad thanks Bill, just wish there where more hours in the day and my wife would stop moaning at me saying I love my work more than her..lol

Like you said anyone can flash a car with a map, they could even flash a car with a proven tried and tested map, but if the dont understand data logging and the ecu fundermentals and the relationship between boost, lambda and knock how are they ever going to know a car is running safe and not running lean due to duff fuel pump which could cause a melted piston?

Some tuners say "Fault codes are clear the car is spot on..." WTF!!!

I wish it was this easy. It takes me 2 mins to flash a map to an me7.5 ecu, and around 15min on the dyno looging at the live data making sure the engine is giving what the maps is asking for, then if summat aint right I can take me upto 2hrs plus to pin point the issues. And for me this is what drives me and make my job fun getting it right every time so i can sleep at night not worring about someone calling saying the remap has blown my engine up.

Have you got your dyno up and running yet?
Nick

Having been brought to my attention I thought it necessary to clear a few things up if I may.

All opinions and expressions of APB Performance are theirs and theirs only, they are certainly not that of Celtic Tunings. We operate a strict none forum policy for dealers to avoid such issues as this arising. No correspondence has been made with Celtic on a technical level with regards to software tuning and this issue.

With regards to software, I'd welcome anyone to come see how we operate and develop.

i can stand up for r-tech saying the guys there are great definetely know what they are doing, the maps are great, smooth delivery no spikes which means less stress on the engine!
Prices are half of the likes of revo and although revo are highly recommended on here i am thinking R-tech isnt half the map!

I couldn't really get an answer for my questions about 'spikiness' from the local Revo place so I'm guessing that's true then? They come highly recommended but for the price I can get an A*** service from R-Tech and afford the petrol up to Hinckley & a hotel stay for the same sort of money. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about such things but am learning, so opinions on comparing the two would be appreciated. I want smoothness, not a TDi.

Oh no, literally just got this in an email -

The boost settings are adjustable on this software, so you can make it as aggressive as you like. I find that Revo software on the whole is more 'spikey' but find this adds to the driving experience.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Oh no, literally just got this in an email -

The boost settings are adjustable on this software, so you can make it as aggressive as you like. I find that Revo software on the whole is more 'spikey' but find this adds to the driving experience.

Opinions?

Get the SPS switch and you can set the Revo map to how you want it fuel boost and timing you can adjust them until the map is how you want it. It a very smart idea and works really well. I have been playing with the SPS for a few weeks now and have found it the best way to set a Revo map up on the rolling road, but not all Revo dealers go the extra mile by setting the map upto how the customer wants. Keep your eye out on ebay you can pick them up 2nd hand for £50 or buy direct from Revo or if money is an issue you could alway give beer token to borrow someones sps.

Nick

Not too bad thanks Bill, just wish there where more hours in the day and my wife would stop moaning at me saying I love my work more than her..lol

Like you said anyone can flash a car with a map, they could even flash a car with a proven tried and tested map, but if the dont understand data logging and the ecu fundermentals and the relationship between boost, lambda and knock how are they ever going to know a car is running safe and not running lean due to duff fuel pump which could cause a melted piston?

Some tuners say "Fault codes are clear the car is spot on..." WTF!!!

I wish it was this easy. It takes me 2 mins to flash a map to an me7.5 ecu, and around 15min on the dyno looging at the live data making sure the engine is giving what the maps is asking for, then if summat aint right I can take me upto 2hrs plus to pin point the issues. And for me this is what drives me and make my job fun getting it right every time so i can sleep at night not worring about someone calling saying the remap has blown my engine up.

Have you got your dyno up and running yet?
Nick

yep, dyno is up and running thanks.. luvin it..
what a great tool.. wanted one for years, and now I have one its ace..

Last edited:
Get the SPS switch and you can set the Revo map to how you want it fuel boost and timing you can adjust them until the map is how you want it. It a very smart idea and works really well. I have been playing with the SPS for a few weeks now and have found it the best way to set a Revo map up on the rolling road, but not all Revo dealers go the extra mile by setting the map upto how the customer wants. Keep your eye out on ebay you can pick them up 2nd hand for £50 or buy direct from Revo or if money is an issue you could alway give beer token to borrow someones sps.

Nick

for 1.8t stuff, only boost and ign adjustments are live on SPS.. fueling on n/a's and the tfsi stuff is active
I know I get people quite a lot lately asking for stage 2 revo's not realising they have adjustment left in stage 1.. Its something not realised by a lot of peeps me thinks

stage 2's seem to be "less aggressive" also, which is why some folks are dissapointed in the missing aggression, which is what they actualyl liked from revo1 - Some hate the power delivery, some like it..

stage 2's seem to be "less aggressive" also, which is why some folks are dissapointed in the missing aggression, which is what they actualyl liked from revo1 - Some hate the power delivery, some like it..[/QUOTE]

Hmm. It's hard to know what I'd like without driving a Revo'd car to compare. I suspect I'll be sticking with R-Tech though, I don't necessarily want aggressive power delivery... it might well deliver me into a wall...