Looking for an S3 - Few Questions

Ben88S3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have just put my 6N2 Polo GTI up for sale and im now looking to move onto bigger & better things by getting myself an Audi S3 Quattro 8L. I have always loved these cars but never been able to afford one let alone the insurance but i'm 22 this month and can just about afford one.

Just got a few questions as to the spec of the S3.
Firstly can anybody tell me the actual gross weight of an S3 8L?
I have looked on several car review sites and have had no joy.

I am looking for an 02-03 plate quattro (225) but I am not too sure what to look for in these cars, are there any common faults/problems I should be looking for when viewing these cars?
obviously the basics such as service history, cambelt history, etc wont be a problem but I was hoping to find out if there are any serious faults I should be looking for with an S3?

I have a thing for black cars so ive decided its got to be black and I have already put together a list of bits & bobs that will be added to the car.

Cheers

Ben,

Ben your best searching, theres millinos of these threads and you'll get better info - nothing against you but people are fed up with answering the same q's doood ;)

oh and welcome to the club..... get some pics up as soon as you buy ;)

Welcome

S3 1450kg

Don't be hang up about 225bhp or 210bhp, both remap to the same

Check for Full service history oil\filter, Haldex oil\filter, brake fluid
Cam belt/Water pump 60,000 miles or 5 years

Faults ;

1) Rust on roof rails
2) Stereo volume problem (can't be fixed, you need to replace stereo)
3) Window clip problem
4) Rear wiper
6) Oil Use (Look for signs of an oil leak, look at exhaust fumes, it could be the Turbo letting oil past the seals)
7) Electrics on seats

xenons not leveling properly/pointing to the floor, snapped springs, alarm back up battery not holding charge, will bleep 3 times from the rear when you start the car. Rust around lower door trims. dead lines on the DIS, split breather pipe/vac pipes. if your looking at higher millage 80k plus then suspension parts can be worn like drop links, lower wishbone bushes. ARB split the collars that butt up to the bush's and the whole bar needs replacing. check the inner face of the front discs for corrosion. Dont be put of by mods, as long as theres receipts and proof that its been fitted properly. Popular mods are new shocks andlower springs and uprated ARB's to improve handeling and dial out understeer. H and R, white line, R32 and neuspeed are popular makes of ARB's fitted. Eibach, H and R, Apex are popular springs used. Other mods included brembo 4 pot calipers, remaps, forge 007 dv, green cotton panel filters.

Thanks for the replys Guys, much appreciated
I am looking to get an S3 with 55-60K on the clock but these are hard to find and tend to be on the expensive side.
I will get some pics up as soon as it lands on my drive.

Thanks again

Ben,