S4 V8 Cylinder layout.

xs2man

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got a wee question. Turns out I have a cylinder 2 missfire. I am assuming this is a coilpack as these seem to be the most problematic of things invented by Audi / VW. So I guess I shall have to replace it. However, which one is cylinder 2? There is 8 to choose from, and don't fancy changing them all, lol.

Anyone got a diagram of the layout showing which cylinder is which? And anyone got any tips (a how to perhaps?) on how to change them?

Cheers

xs2man

Can't find any V8 info in my manual but have everything up to V6!

For V6 it is:
3 -back- 6
2 ------ 5
1 -front- 4

For 4-cyl it is
4 -back
1 - front

Good guess that V8 is:
4 -back- 8
3 ------ 7
2 ------ 6
1 -front- 5

I've just had a negative search too, maybe worth a call to Audi? Or a PM to dsmclark on here, although I think he might have replaced them all when he did his.

I would imagine your guess is correct woorlord. I will try to confirm when I pick it up. So far all my searching has come up with nothing also. Would have thought there would have been something posted somewhere.

I think I saw somewhere that it is
4-Back-5
3-------6
2-------7
1-front-8

But I can't find where I read it. but Cylinder 2 is defiantly second one back on the left. Thats on the hard side as you have to take the lid off the airbox to get to them as you have to unplug them all to move the loom. so while your there you might as well replace them all as chances are the others probably aren't that far behind. they cost me about £280 from audi if I remember right

CHRIST!!! I need a quick fix for this, and am i bit skint at the moment. I'm just gonna be replacing the 1 just now. lol.

Right.

Well thanks for the info, confirmed with one of the Audi techs before I started, and

4-Back-5
3-------6
2-------7
1-front-8

or

4 -back- 8
3 ------ 7
2 ------ 6
1 -front- 5

appears to be correct. Either way, cylinder 2 is the same (I forgot the 5-8 as I was stupidly only interested in 2).

However, changing out the coilpack didn't cut it, and I dont have a spark plug spanner or whatever to do that myself yet. D'oh. This could get costly. Gonna put it into the local garage to see if they have a clue???

Also,

Hey guys, whats the best spark plug to use with my S4? Got a miss-fire on cylinder 2, and changing the coilpack hasn't fixed it. Gonna change the spark plug to see if that's the issue. If it is, I might change out the whole lot of plugs and packs, but in the meantime, I hope this will work.

Not sure what are the best spark plugs but you could try swapping the spark plug in cylinder 2 with a good one to see if the problem moves to the other cylinder

Yeah, was thinking that, problem is I don't actually have vagcom, had to go pick up a guy to borrow his, and then bring him back. Nightmare. Will have to invest in it, but not while I'm possibly looking at a large bill.

Turned out it was 3 coilpacks in the end. D'oh...