1.9TDI Clutch Advice

chancer

Reaction score
Well the clutch started slipping this week. Car is 1.9TDI re-mapped to 170BHP. Was a 130BHP. I am going to fit the clutch over the Bank Holiday so have just about a week to make the correct choice.
The part that worries me is I have a bill with the car that indicates a new clutch and DMF were fitted less than a year ago (Only 8000 miles). I rang the guy on the bill but he doesn't want to know and will not confirm what was done to the vehicle.
Question is will a replacement 130BHP clutch be up to the job or is there a better type I can buy. I don't want to have to be constantly dropping the gearbox to replace clutches.
Any advice or knowledge would be great.
Car is a 2001 A4 (B6) SE

Last edited:
Reckon if u replace with the standard parts, clutch + dmf you will just end up running into the same problem again in the future with the extra torque of the remap. Been looking to uprate my clutch and put a smf in because after mapping theres around 300 ftlb running through the pd150.

Is it the 5 or 6 speed? Think i seen a sachs clutch + fly on ebay a few months ago for around £500

I have struggled to find a decent kit for the 6 speed. I used to have the 5 speed ECS Tuning Stage 1 kit on my Bora 1.9 TDI (100bhp) that was mapped to 140. It consisted of a new Sachs clutch, Sachs pressure plate, release bearing and single mass flywheel (SMF) which was also slightly lighter than the OEM dual mass.

One thing I did notice was a rattling sound on idle, as the vibration reduction of the dual mass wasn't there any more!
The clutch pedal was significantly lighter as well, which too a little getting used to, but I preferred it in the end as it was much less stress on longer journeys.

I would rate it highly as well, the price for the lot was around the £500 mark from Awesome GTI.

I have struggled to find a 6 speed equivalent, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks guys. The car is 5 speed. I have got a sneaky suspicion that the bill I have for the new clutch that was fitted is either bogus or it never had a clutch fitted at all. I will take a look at the one you advised and if it fits go for that.

Only types I can find are LUK and some other cheap make. Sachs don't appear to do one for the AWX

LUK is original equipment, when i changed mine the clutch had the 4 rings with LUK stamped next to it. I'm running 184bhp and the standard clutch is doing fine, just got to make sure it's fully engaged before you stamp on the load pedal:)