Body roll on Quattro Sport

QuottroA4

Reaction score
I was after some advice on the handling of my A4 which awful at the moment.

I have had an RS4 RARB fitted, front multi link suspension components Koni FSD's fitted but the ride is rough and bouncy, skipping over bumps amd now the body roll seems to be getting worse! I still have the std sports springs fitted and the car has done 130k, do they need replacing I wonder? Is there a way of knowing if the springs are shot as it would ne an expensive thing to do if they are not needed!

I have seen alot of posts regarding rear chassis bushes, front ARB bushes and drop links, I'm guessing if they have been on for 130k they will need replacing?

I was advised on another forum that I need to upgrade the fron ARB as with having the thicker RS4 fitted at the rear the handling is out of balance, is this true?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm quite confused and becoming increasingly short on the ode pennies!

Any advise is more the welcome :thumbsup:

How long have the FSD's been fitted? - If the Sport springs have been on for over 70-80K then I would recommend replacement to stiffen it all up again :)

Again bushes - if they are all standard then I would recommend replacement at 130K.

Check out our website for some option and prices :) OR if you like give me a quick shout and we can have a chat about it over the phone :)

Changing the rear ARB will give you more oversteer and stiffen the rear of the car - will not give an inbalance.... but will make it more likely to give lift off oversteer etc. This really depends on how YOU want YOUR car to drive, at the end of the day your the one that is driving the car day in day out so have it the way you want it. Not others :)

AwesomeMike

Last edited:
Hi Mike

The FSD's have been on for about 3ths now, I actually fitted Eibach Pro Kit springs with them orignally however the ride so far to hard - so much so that it felt like the chassis was absorbing all the impacts from the road. So I had the OEM springs re-fitted, bad move really. With this in mind, I was thinking of replacing with OEM sports or S-Line springs as I faer the aftermarkets ones are going to ne too hard?

Sounds like the springs are your problem due to them not being matched to the shocks. The shocks are unable to take up the slack of the springs so what you have is the car bouncing on the springs instead of the shock absorbing the bounce.

I am surprised to hear that with Eibach springs - as mentioned above it could be a match issue as the FSD dampers are really meant for use with OEM ride height but you can usually get away with a 20mm drop on them.

The S-line springs will be stiffer, but again I am not sure if they will be too stiff as in the past I have changed OEM S-Line suspenion with Eibach Springs and Koni/Billy dampers and it has given a softer ride with better handling!

AwesomeMike

Hi Doc

I'm a little confused, should I buy new OEM springs or put the Eibach back on?

I found ride very hard with the Eibach and FSD combo, people generally have the same reaction when I mention this..maybe there was something else wrong with the suspension the caused this? Cant really see what tho, what do you think?

Rich

Alot of retailers recommend putting Eibach and FSD combo, however I have also been told that the Eibachs lower the care beyond the FSD optimal operating range? In which case do I but new OEM sport springs from TPS?

have you checked the RARB - mine was great for a bit, but then the bolts snapped!!

apparenly the FARB is standard across the range.

same mileage and a heavier car and I get v little body roll... but then it's all a matter of expectation...

Sounds like the springs are your problem due to them not being matched to the shocks. The shocks are unable to take up the slack of the springs so what you have is the car bouncing on the springs instead of the shock absorbing the bounce.

Doc I know its along time since I posted but I still have the same problem.

With you saying that the shocks cannot take up the slack of the springs, by this do you mean the springs are too tall and that the shock is outside of it operating range?

If so, what should I do? FSD's where very pricey so dont really want to take them off to replace with OEM shocks. Conversely, replacing the springs for OEM colour matched ones will be around £280! Help! :/

No the spring are stiffer so they dont travel as far for the shocks to stop the car bouncing on the springs.

So fitting new springs would be a waste of money then? so what do you think I should do? Eibachs where bone shakers and the stock ones are too short for the shocks hard. Cant fit SE springs as the quattro running gear is set up for lower springs and it would handle like a bannana!

I wonder if there ae any aftermarket springs which arent as stiff as the Eibacjs or stock?