ipod connection

musicegbdf

Reaction score
I have ordered a new sportback TDI 170 Quattro Sport and hope to get it end Oct. When I ordered it there was a baffling array of extras and only ordered the cruise control.
In hindsight I should have ordered the AMI connection for £250 as well. The dealer told me once the order was in they can't change the extras, so I have gone through the threads on here , but am a little confused.

I am guessing that the wiring harness will already have a connector in the glove box area so it should be fairly easy for "retrofit" or "after market" product to fit. I found one Audi dealer "up north" offering this for £195 , but I live down in Essex.

Any advice?

your car will come with AUX as standard. no track controls thru the wheel and no names or artists, but if you're on a budget then you can't get a better deal than free.

if you wanted the latest satnav retrofitting then you can quite easily do it yourself, but you need to find a unit (cheapest i've seen someone pay is £380 but expect to pay more like double that) and to code it or have it coded. you could fit iPod connectivity at the same time, so you can get the whole shabang for less than the £1k Audi are asking for satnav alone.

finally your dealer is a moron. you can have them call the factory and change extras ON THE PRODUCTION LINE as long as the car hasn't gone past the point where that option would have been fitted. call up Audi UK and complain and have them throw in an optional extra for free.

on my old a3 i didnt have a built in ipod connection but bought one from ebay for about £80 all you need to do is plug it in to the cd changer section at the back of your head unit. it works with steering controls as it is running through the cd changer.

yeah but only if you make up 6 playlists to trick the car into thinking it's actually playing from a CD player. my solution means the car knows it's playing from an iPod and you can select whatever track you like

yea but ive now got a newer audi with the built in ipod connection in the glove box and that still works the same with playlists and you can select from 6.

the newest 2010 RNS-E knows it's playing from an iPod. it'll even tell you artists and track names.

Thks sounds like there are a few solutions. If the new head recognises a ipod that will brilliant.
Guess my best option is wait until I pick up the car and plug into the Aux socket and see what happens...