Problem Guys

jav786

Reaction score
Hellloo

I just encountered a problem i was hoping whether any1 can shed any light?

it starts off with on the way back from bham (34 mile) journey, started to hear a squeak as if it was the cambelt it got worse but then quitened downand still drove fine.

Then parked up, cut the engine for abt 20 mins, started up again and its as if there was a clunk something falling out or down of my engine, then it started up but no squeak drove it around a little to test it, everything seemed fine. bear in mind the battery lght came on when i started the car after 20 mins.

Just abt to drive into my drive and the steering light came on aswell, and then the battery light in the DIN.

Now it wont start.

Spoke to my uncle told him wha happened, he goes it makes sense the alternator fell out of place, or off thus not charging the battery?

Does this seem correct? can anybody help me?

what im really worried about is the clunk? the sound as if something in the engine dropped or moved about?

sounds like either your alternator has packed up or the belt has come off that is prob why you heard a squeak and that the batt light came on is because the alternator isnt charging the batt so you will not have steering either as its electric power steering hope this helps

Yeah, squeaking was probably the belt and the clunk was it probably coming off and hitting something in the engine bay, happened to a friends 2001 Seat Leon once, because the belt was still spinning, when it came off it hit something and made a loud clunk, have a look to see if you can see anything.

Danny.

It will be the roller on the end of the altenator they always snap,cant believe they havnt modified them as the mk4 golfs had the same issues with this part and probably most vag diesels

Tensioner pulley knackered and alternator now, had this on mine at about 75k i blamed the 1200w woofer pulling too much power :) but its quiet common fault. I started hearing the squeaky noise at 60k, showed audi it who said its adjusts automatically and will be ok, later the alt went!