Losing boost!!

Alan H

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......
Reaction score
Hi all,

I think that I'm intermittently losing boost.

Sometimes the car seems to fly and I can hear the turbo spooling up, then other times the car seems really flat and I can't hear the characteristic whistle. (you know what I mean I think)

Could this be down to a faulty dv or the N249 thingy (is that the right number.....lol)

Hope someone can help as it's getting a bit frustrating........:crying:

TIA,

Alan

what engine do you have mate, petrol or diesel.....

You can check the vac pipes to the solenoids, and plugs connections to any other sensors, but you may need the codes scanned anyway to know for sure, and there may not even be a code if you have no cel. Limp mode is triggered by a variety of problems, all of which will cause boost to be turned off or right down, but boost system may not be the actual fault.

what engine do you have mate, petrol or diesel.....

You can check the vac pipes to the solenoids, and plugs connections to any other sensors, but you may need the codes scanned anyway to know for sure, and there may not even be a code if you have no cel. Limp mode is triggered by a variety of problems, all of which will cause boost to be turned off or right down, but boost system may not be the actual fault.

Sorry, I must think everyone has a crystal ball......lol

It's a 1.8T B6 chassis. I've changed a couple of vac pipes (the ones that run under the inlet manifold)

I don't have any engine management lights, it's that it just feels down on power sometimes.....

which other ones should I check?

PS thanks for the reply....

Is it the old MAF problem?

Difficult one to diagnose without VCDS/Vag-Com, though I believe if you disconnect it, it should feel better if it is the problem?

Other than that, I'd be looking at any temp sensors, both water and air, seeing as you've checked the pipes etc.

It could be the DV, and they are cheap enough to change if you want to eliminate it.

HAs anyone got a pic of the engine bay to point out these offending items.....

TIA,

Alan