1.6 engine discontinued?

MattyW19

Reaction score
Just been to the dealers And was told that the 1.6 has been discontinued, this is the first I have heard - is this correct?

i think to replace the 1.6 petrol they have got the 1.4 tsi and as ash said the 1.6tdi to replace the 1.9tdi

the 1.4T was a 1.6FSI replacement but the 1.6 MPI carried on even until the 8P3. for MY11 they brought out the 1.2T and that replaced the 1.6 MPI

isnt the a3 a bit heavy for a 1.2 engine lol but i suppose if its turbo'd then it really doesnt matter , how much bhp is that pushing out then do you know

as it so happens the 1.6 is actually still buildable on the Audi UK configurator for MY11 cars - not exactly sure what that means.

tbh as a former owner of the 1.6 MPI i wouldn't recommend it over the newer engines. on it's own it's not a bad lump, but compared to the newer ones i wouldn't bother with it.

the webbie says 105bhp, which is 3bhp up on the 1.6. however it's only £120 more and you'll probably save that in fuel in the first year so it's a bit of a no brainer. in fact i think you'll save most of that on your road tax. and it's top speed is 4mph higher so i'd imagine the 1.2 can cope with the weight.

The 1.6 is on the way out, I believe production has now ceased and Audi were introducing the free Technic pack to boost sales prior to it's demise. Interesting at a similar time Audi stop putting engine capacity badges on the back, probably to hide some peoples 'possible embarassment' only having a little motor under the bonnet. Goodness knows why the new 1.2TFsi seems a highly capable motor looking at the figures.

yeah but the problem is image. you or i might know that there's nothing wrong with a 1.2T, but the public will only see the 1.2.

for a company that sells a W12 flagship saloon and a £120k sports car that's a bit of a clash and from a marketing perspective i can see why. that's a problem with the public tho, not with the company or it's engine

You could always order any Audi with the badges removed so I don't really see the issue but as you say the British public get hung up on these things. A bit like the single exhaust issue on the new diesels!!

The spec of the 1.2T is far better and lighter than the 1.6 it replaced and the emisions are lower :icon_thumright:

cars with the single exhaust do look naff tho. my old 1.6 had one and it wound me right up

cars with the single exhaust do look naff tho. my old 1.6 had one and it wound me right up
mine used to too till i got my votex rear diffuser and got a custom made tailpipe fitted now she has a lovely twin on the back it looks 1000 times better and i cant understand why audi put single pipes on the new models apart from the top models