Wandering and lose steering

QuottroA4

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me regarding my steering on my A4.

I have had alot of work done on my car since I bought it, including re-worked turbo, clutch+DMF, brakes and suspension - most of whichwas not through choice!

My ongoing problem is and always has been steering. To date I have replaced all the front arms, dampers, track road ends and more recently the steering rack. The steering is still vague and wonders of course if not kept in check, although the 'feel' of the steering driving back last night seemed more responsive.

As you can imagine, I am at my wits end and fast running out of money to fund the ongoing project of trying to find a solution to the cars problems. If any of you kind souls could offer me some advice or give me some pointers as to what I may of missed component wise on the steering mechanics I would certainly appreaciate it.

Hacent to add, the suspension is something that needs addressing too as the ride is very boucey on the FSD's as they are being used with OEM springs which have been on the car since birth.

Thank you.:thumbsup:

Have ALL of the front arms been replaced?

What sort of mileage is the car on?

What wheels/tyres?

Have you had a proper 4 wheel alignment done, and if so what were the figures for camber castor and toe at both ends?

All the arms have been replaced, I have had it 4 wheel alignment done twice now. More recently after the track rod ends where done. The car is running on 235 45 r17 falken 452's. Suspect the fronts will be damaged with the rack being shot? Unsure of alignment settings. My mechanic did make one observation though, he said the steering wheel wasn't centering itself properly which might be a caster issue? Might be worth mentioning that I do get a lot of tyre noise from the fronts

Thank you to the one memeber who replied to the thread, however I am pleased to say that the problem has now been solved! :)

Had 4 Conti contactsport 3 fitted the other day - £460 mind, however what a differance! Improved cornering, more comfortable and quieter to boot! I'm a happy bunny again..all be it 460 notes lighter!!

Rich

Thats a nice deal mate, I had PS2's on the front before my current Conti's and they were very good. I think they're £160 plus new though so didn't go for them again as I also felt they wore a bit quick - although I can't quantify that.