s3 boot light

8YA335TDI1STED

Reaction score
simple q folks where is the boot light switch , noticed last night no light in boot had a look today but couldnt see a switch on the tailgate so how should it work ??

I would imagine the switch is in the lock mechanism. Did you check the bulb?

no didnt check the bulbs as i tried to prise off both the lights and couldnt, thought best ask the q before destroying the plastics with screwdriver lol

I have this same problem, the lights work, but only when they want to. I was trying to find a switch or something but still looking

Get used to it mate, ive been trying to fix mine for 12 months, changed the bulbs etc and nothing, ive tested the bulb units but theirs no power going to them and i cant figure out why. Anyone know what circuit the boot lights work off or what fuse they share?

I have the same problem with my S3 and also had a similar problem with my mk4 golf. Does your rear wash/wipe work? Apparently, these can fail and allow water into the boot mechanism causing it to corrode. Then you end up with alarms going off in the middle of the night and the car doesn't know when the boot is open or colsed... Does the interior light come on when your boot is open?

My rear wash wipe works instanly now since i replugged the connector in the trunking under airbox , no sign of leak in the tail , but boot lights just dont work tried them with lights on and off just dont work , I will have a copy of elsawin very soon so hopefully that will tell us exactly where the switch is ?

the switch for the boot lights and display on the dash is on the actual boot lid where the actual lock is (not the key barrel)
its a wee microswitch that didn't work on mine till i sprayed it with some WD40, then it worked for a few days and stopped again. ive not had time to get back in and use some switch cleaner on it.

i looked at replacing it aswell as the one for the bonnet but u need to get the whole catch thing which is about £35 each (i think)

the interior lights come on when the boot is open, the rear washer and rear wiper work and dont leak, but the boot lights are working only when they want to. I was playing around with the plastic coweling around the lock, removed the screws and the lights suddenly came. Might remove the entire thing and see if theres some loose wires or something

oops i stuffed my lock full of grease when i bought the car maybe thats why it aint working will take a look at first chance i get cheers for the info folks

update , after i fixed the washer fluid leak in the trunking under the air box very soon after my rear wash stopped working so investigated the connection at the motor sure enough it had come off, so reconnected it put a few mini cable ties around to hold better then started work on the rear boot lights , at first i tried to prie the surrounding plastics off with a flat screw driver ( bad idea ) then discovered take the parts off where you would take off to change your cds get your hand behind the light and they quite easily pop out , turned out both mine had the same problem = seems the posative feed wire is a tad shorter than the earth and both had come undone , plugged them back in and both lights worked

now expecting the washer system to pop at the sub will wait and see b4 digging it out