Time to get raped by car insurance! ......

No surprises, just added my gf onto my fiesta, had her license 2 days, and it was £300 named driver for the year. Whereas when I was a new driver (Same fiesta) they wanted £2000 to add me as a named driver. I had the car changed into my name, and insured it with no other drivers and it was £1600. 1 year later, i upgrade from a 1.2 fiesta to a 2.0 audi and its £900.

Where's the logic?

Car insurance is always going to be a con. I looked into starting an insurance company but you need around £5mil collateral apparently :/ haha.

11 yrs no claims with now 1 non fault claim has put mine up to £1400 cheapest from £800 I am currently paying. I gave Audi insurance a call and despite insuring me a year ago for £1200 its gone up to £2300 :think:

I have just done a confused.com search im 22 3years no claims, modified s3 (brakes, suspension, remap, downpipe) £883. Mums on the policy, it's parked on drive at night. fingers crossed it wont be too mental for you!

dane thats a real good quote. im 22, only 1 year no claims and nearly 3years driving and mine was 2000 on a comparison site. i hope when mine is due in april i can get somethin similar to yours at 23 yrs old with 2 yrs ncb and 3 years driving. did you find it brought yours down with your mum on it?

11 years no claims, no points, $3,400 for 6 months - not everything in the states is cheaper!!!

oh my, you lot are being ripped off, where on earth do you live....Iraq??

My latest quote was £382.80, Fully Comp with 6 years NCB.

dane thats a real good quote. im 22, only 1 year no claims and nearly 3years driving and mine was 2000 on a comparison site. i hope when mine is due in april i can get somethin similar to yours at 23 yrs old with 2 yrs ncb and 3 years driving. did you find it brought yours down with your mum on it?
I'm not entirely sure what difference it makes and I cant really be bothered to do it again but I read it helps lol. the problem with that quote is Elephant/admiral will not cover a FMIC so any modification further down the line would mean swapping to a different insurer and Adrian Flux just quoted me £1300 for the above + intercooler - LAME!

did you find it brought yours down with your mum on it?

im the same age, 22, and having both my parents as named driving on my car brought my insurance down from £1k to around £800
its worth doing it.

Well its not just you youngsters getting shafted ....my wifes Mondeo 2007 2.2 TDCi ST ...last year about £325 to insure it.....this year cheapest we can get it is £425 witha £500 excess ...she is a Doctor, 13K miles per annum, aged 40, max no claims, no accidents, and a clean licence......

What the F is going on !!!!!!

insurance is a crazy business. not only is it the young people like myself being stereotyped as ****** idots on the road with a fast car, but even people with max ncb and over 30/40 yrs old are getting shafted for no reason at all. its madness. i am really not looking forward to renewal time, having a clean sheet seems to mean nothing. clean should mean significantly lower prices, people with bad records, bump them up so the considerate drivers can benefit!

Got my renewal through the door from RAC, they've doubled the premium from last year :think:

Lol, be interested to see what insurance actually was in iraq!!
Sharia Law apparently says you dont have to have insurance. Thats maybe why the people round where I live think its ok to hit other cars and drive off:laugh:

Insurance has increased hugely, mainly due to the bad weather we had at the end of last year and the start of this year.

This generated a HUGE amount of claims over a very short period, hence the rocket in premiums this year, it doesnt get any better though, as we are expected to have the same sort of weather this year too!!

This is obviously only part of the problem, this is also tied in with divs driving about with no insurance, so we have to foot the bill for them!!!

Yeah, agreed. Insurance sucks.

However, the light at the end of the tunnel for me was that adding the missus to my policy dropped the premium by £100.

Don't ask me how that works, but get in!!!

For me, 24 years old, 6 points for insurance purposes, 6 years NCB, missus on the policy, £633.35.

Admiral for the win....

Yeah I'm with Admiral too. And yep, adding my missus to the policy reduced it by about £100 or so too. And she's only got a provisional licence. Absolute no-brainer.

Adding another person, splits the risk, hence the lower insurance premium....for some reason, they think its better having a woman on the policy....LOL!!

I've never understood their logic.
In my example, adding my missus only increases the risk of an accident. I drive the car no less (she is only a named driver - meaning she can only drive on the odd occassions where necessary), and when she does drive my car it has to be under my supervision and i'm no driving instructor, have no dual controls, and get very impatient with how slow she drives so am always telling her to speed up.

I'll take the discount though.

My insurance is staying at a shade over £2000. Ridiculous for a 1.6 powerhouse. Oddly though I changed the mileage from 3000 to 5000 and it dropped by £250! Insane.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that recognise 1 year as a named driver through another company as a year's NCB?

Just did an online quote with Admiral (my current insurer).... it's gone up, but not by that much. Paid £440 last year I think, now they want about £560.

i dread to look at my premium to bump up to the s3, it was 100 at the start of the year but i suspect that dispite me being 22 and having 3 years no claims im geussing around the 1500 mark 10% of the cars value, where is the sense, and insurance has been bad since i was a loon 5 years ago i went to get a claim on my 5 door 99 plate 1.4zetecs fiesta and couldnt get a quote under 2 grand, the car was only worth £900 why hasnt there been a regulation or audit by the government to stop insurance companies from becoming almost like a cartel!