1.9TDI Turbo Problems HELP!

Umfoofoo

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post so please be gentle!!

Got my A3 about 18 months ago, it has only done 40,000 miles on a 2005 plate. Not had any problems with it whatsoever. Then last week I was driving home as normal and my engine just totally cut out. No warning lights or anything. Me and my mates tried Bumping it and it was stuck solid. Got AA out and he said my engine was seized... (Gutted)!

Anyway cut a long story short. A mechanic came round and said that my turbo had leaked oil into my engine which had caused it to partially seize. After a wile of messing around he got it started but said that the Turbo was almost gone and that I need a new one.!

Overall price to fix it with a new turbo and labour is around £1000 mark... Is there nothing else I can do like a refurbed turbo or anything like that?? Or any advice on what I can do??

Thanks

Sorry mate but that doesn`t sound very good.£1000 would be with a recon turbo as a new turbo is more then that to start with. Trouble is if the engine seized due to oil getting into it all the engine pipework and intercooler will need to be cleaned out and your be lucky if there is no damage to the engine as you have hydro locked the engine if the mechanic was right which is a very bad thing.

I've had a quote from FR&RTuning and they quoted £565 +VAT. For a brand new one with free postage and a years warranty which sounds pretty good to me. Just then got to find someone to fit it. I'm just not sure if there will be any damage to the inside of my engine. The only way to find that out though is to strip it isn't it?

If it leaked enough oil to Hydraulic, and the engine was moving at anything more than a snails pace, you are most likely facing bent rods and maybe even a bent crank. The CR on diesels is very high, about 24:1 or so, meaning there is no room for anything that will not compress.

You need to have a compression test, and a leak down test to validate any of this, but they should give an indication of the internal damage.

kevin

If I was facing bent rods or a bent crank though would the engine actually start??
Cheers