Anybody fitted a S line spoiler (NOT VOTEX) to a Sport spec Sportback?

~RS~

Reaction score
I got a S line spoiler from ebay for a bargain compared to what Audi are charging for them, then cut the lugs off for it to get prepped n painted.

Before taking it to get sprayed I put the spoiler on tailgate just to see how it would look, I noticed that there was a small gap of a few mm max between where the spoiler would sit and where the brake light built into the tailgate is even when the spoiler was pressed down tightly and the spoiler isn't bent or warped at all. This brake light would be removed as the sportback S line spoiler has a brake light built into it which will be rewired into old ones connection. When removed though it would leave a gap open to the elements :sadlike:

A search here on the subject revealed that when buying a new S line sportback spoiler from Audi they supply some sealing for over the old break light gap? Sounded odd as it not supposed top be fitted on non sportback.

If you have ETKA would u be a diamond and post a pic of the S line spoiler for a sportback so I can see if it comes with this seal for the brake light hole left in tailgate.

Anybody who has fitted a genuine S line spoiler (not votex) on a sport ed sportback how did you sort this out?:banghead:

I'm pretty sure S-line and S3 spoilers are similar, (but don't quote me on that) I did have votex on my SB before I did my facelift then changed it to S-line/S3 one. (see my facelift thread) Yes there is a sealing unit that goes around the brake light, when I bought mine it came with it though I don't have the part number..

Aha! Thanks Dean, forgot about your S3/ S line spoiler. So that's the bit I need, what's the bet that they do not sell it separately! ******!!

Can you notice the gap when it has the sealing unit in it? Or does it blend in well? Can the sealing unit be fabricated using something else? What is it made of?

If you get a min a close up pic of the section were speaking about would be cool mate. Understand if your a lil busy though mate.

The sline and s3 spoiler are exactly the same. When I fitted mine, there was a small gap as you mention, but didnt cause a problem as the small gasket supplied sealed it fine. I have had no problems for about 6 months now, 'touch wood' :)

All the gasket was made of iirc was sticky backed (one side only ) foam . Should be a piece of piddle to source, And probably only peanuts in cost.

Cheers guys...

I was following the instructions for a 3dr not realizing the 3dr spoiler doesnt have the middle lug so I cut that one of too :ermm::eyebrows: Ah well sure the sickaflex or similar will hold it down well.

Thanks for the info regarding the foam as well, I will have a look about for that scottie. Did you cut off the middle lug?

10itwasntme187 yours looks nice on, cant wait to have mine prepped, sprayed and fitted now... Really makes a huge difference! Cheers for the link to the thread seems you got yours to fit nicely, so are you saying that your spoiler actually sit over the hole left by removing the original tailgate brake light? Or did you also get a foam seal?

BTW if any of you guys could get a close up pic of under the rear brake light I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Last edited:
The spoiler pre- prep/spray:

spoiler-4-1.jpg

spoiler-3.jpg

spoiler.jpg

Spoiler-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers guys...
Thanks for the info regarding the foam as well, I will have a look about for that scottie. Did you cut off the middle lug?

10itwasntme187 yours looks nice on, cant wait to have mine prepped, sprayed and fitted now... Really makes a huge difference! Cheers for the link to the thread seems you got yours to fit nicely, so are you saying that your spoiler actually sit over the hole left by removing the original tailgate brake light? Or did you also get a foam seal?

Cheers

Yes once the brake light has been taken off you have a hole where the middle leg goes in (No dirty jokes boys).
You can tighten in the middle leg which will hold the spoiler down into place.

The way i did it was to clean the car so no dirt gets in the way of the body glue, and remove the old brake light. then prep the spoiler by putting the body glue around all the egdes of the spoiler, set it into place with the middle screw into the gap left from the old spoiler and tighten up the screw to hold the spoiler down. finally make sure no extra body glue has squeezed out onto the car and tape the spoiler down with masking tape so that it doesn't move overnight.

next day remove the masking tape and polish off for result. doesn't take long at all to do... lucky for me the spoiler was already painted to my car colour so i just fitted it on

also from those pics i see you have the remains of the double sided sticky that was used when it was first fitted... i scraped them off with a screwdriver as it sat a bit wonky on the tailgate and then applied the sikaflex to that same area....

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructions mate, the shop that's spraying it will also fix it down. He tells me there is some rubber thing that removes the old double sided tape completely.

I've already cut the middle lug off! Castrated it :sadlike: lol... You can probably see where it used to be in the pics. Hope this isn't a deal breaker as you said you used it to screw spoiler down to car, I don't think I can glue it back on it either.

If you get a min and wouldn't mind taking a close up of under the rear brake light I'd really appreciate it mate, just wanna show it to the garage so they know how it should look like, as he was a bit unsure about the gap.

here are the pics for the benifit of anyone looking through this thread... Rich you already have a pm with the pics.

yes the car is very dirty thanks to the crappy rain this week!

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMDExMTEtMTI0OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODgtMjAxMDExMTEtMTI0OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTAtMjAxMDExMTEtMTI0OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODctMjAxMDExMTEtMTI0OS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODYtMjAxMDExMTEtMTI0OS5qcGc.jpg