Squeaky steering

nick4501

Reaction score
Hi guys.

My steering has always clicked when I rotate the wheel. It sounds like it's coming from directly behind the steering wheel (as opposed to the rack), and has always done it during my ownership of the car. I was told that this is likely to be the slip ring that sits behind the wheel.

This hasn't got any worse, however, a new noise has now developed around the same area. This is more of a squeel and generally only does it when I'm turning the wheel at slow speeds. I hoped that this was the steering fluid, and after checking it I saw that it was on "minimum". I bought some fluid from Audi and topped it up, but this hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas? I don't see how it could be the rack, since it really does just sound like something is jammed behind the wheel...

Isn't the belt spinning all the time though?...It only squeaks when I turn the wheel. The sound is definitely coming from directly behind the wheel, not the engine bay...

When you turn the wheel it puts load on the belt, if not in the engine bay maybe cowling is rubbing around the wheel?

Is this a good thing (price wise!)?!

How can I correct it?...Is it a fairly common problem? Do you think it's related to the slip ring click?

Not quite sure what you mean by rake. This is now becoming a serious problem. The noise has got worse. Sounds like my steering wheel is going to fall off! What can I do?!

Adjusting the height of the wheel does nothing to change the noise...