Help...water spill

shamrock

Reaction score
I spilled about a liter water on the mat of the passenger side. I quickly took the mat out sopped up the water and left the car running for 45 min with the heater on. I am hysterical!! Where does the water go to? What happens to it? I have nightmares from my 73 beetle with rusty floors. Is there a way for the water to escape put the bottom? Does it get trapped there? Thanks!

I would see if there is a floor grommet you can take out if its very wet otherwise might end up with ice on inside of the glass with condensation etc

The water doesn't seep into the floor and rot it? It doesn't get trapped in the panels under the carpet? What is a "floor grommet?"

The water doesn't seep into the floor and rot it? It doesn't get trapped in the panels under the carpet? What is a "floor grommet?"

The floor is galvanised steel. It will not rot.

A 'grommet' is usually a rubber/plastic disc that plugs a hole and is designed to be removed if necessary. If you have a floor grommet you could remove it and let the water out just like a bath plug.

However, if you have mopped up as much as you can, and 1 litre is not that much, just let it dry naturally and all will be well. You might need to dry the carpet separately but do not worry about the floor.

As said above - your car is not a 1973 vintage rust bucket ( I had a beetle then ) and will not suffer.

Panic-not !!!! :beerchug:

Mike thanks!! Is the grommet on the underside of the car or under the carpet?

Mike thanks!! Is the grommet on the underside of the car or under the carpet?

Either way, if you lift the carpet you will see it (or not if it's not there!) By it's very nature it goes all the way through.

If you don't have a grommet don't worry - as said before - it's not a 1970's rot box !