Smallest wheel fitment on A3 tdi

remslie20

Reaction score
Looking to buy steel wheel/winter tyre package for my a3 s/b 140 s-line tdi. Anyone know the smallest wheel size that will fit over brake disc/calliper? Website i'm looking at only quotes for 16" steel wheels!

17" is the smallest you can fit but you will have to get wheels with the correct offset and width

Why not purchase a set of second hand sport alloys?

Boydie is wrong.

16" will fit fine regardless of disc/caliper size (Not sure if the brakes are 280mm or 312mm on your model)

15" will fit if you have 280 Front/255 Rear, the Golf Mk4 PD130's has 280mm Front / 232mm Rear and came as standard with 15" alloys.

Obviously the offset is important and I guess you will probably be slightly dropping the width for traction, I guess you are looking at the camskill/mytyres packages? I did consider this myself but found it worked out cheaper to just buy a set of tyres and have them swapped over a couple of times.

Thanks for replies, yeah it was my tyres packages i was looking at. Might just go down the tyre route. Thinking dunlop sp winter sport 3d as they get quite a lot of good reviews although not exactly the cheapest! Whats the narrowest width i could go on the standard s-line 18" alloys is it 215?

I was looking at the Nokian WR G2 and the Vredstein Wintrac Extreme, the dunlops get good reviews though.

I was consider 215/45/18, to reduce the width and increase the height, it all depends on what you are likely to drive through, I work in quite a remote area and while Haldex is a wonderful invention it can't defy the laws of physics.

The 312mm brakes on the Mk4 golf fit fine under 16" alloys.

Like I said I don't know if the brakes on the 2.0 TDI are 280mm/288mm/312mm or whatever, but as above on the Mk4 they were fitted with 280mm/288 discs and the 15" alloys fitted.

I could be wrong but the calipers look similar/the same to me.

In summary 16" will fit, 15" may fit depending on brake size but I would borrow a wheel first to check it out though.

Thinking about it, the SE came as standard with 16" alloys!

Called costco for a quote, said he couldnt get his hands on anything over 16" 205's as they've all been swalled up overseas in europe. Said he'd had a sh*t load of calls today for winter tyres!

As far as I know, all standard, basic A3's came with 17" alloys :S

I think the SE models had 16" as standard, Sport 17" and S Line 18" (Although upgrade options available on all models)

This is a handy calculator for changing wheel / tyre sizes and keeping the overall dia as close as poss to the standard size (Helps speedo under / over reading problems)

Click
HTML:
http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Has anyone got any further confirmed results?

im sure that the se trim cars came with 16" wheels only the sport came with 17" wheels mine did only golfs came with 15" wheels