LED INTERIOR LIGHTS

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
I'm away with work at the mo but when i get back I Was thinking about replacing the interior bulbs with LED items as my colleauge has them in his S-Class and they look excellent! I already have LED sidelights and number plate lights which work fine. However I have heard that due to the low impedance of LED bulbs theres a chance they wont work/will flag up the faulty bulb warning? Is this true? Has anyone put LED's in there interior? Do I have to use a resistor to make them work to increase the impedance? They work fine on the sidelights/plate lights with no issues....And has anyone got any links/reccomendations on where to get them from as I dont fancy paying a tenner for 2 like I did for the plate lights (halfrauds!)....

Ollie:icon_thumright:

Theres no bulb warning for the interior lights.

B5's only monitor Front dipped beam, rear tail lights and brake lights.

Thats worth knowing, so thanks for that buddy! How in gods name do you know that stuff! Lol

I've been looking in to doing this with mine and i've got a bit stuck on where to buy the LEDs from.
I've counted that i need 8 501 style bulbs (thats alot of bulbs.) that are at a 90 degrees, to get the most out of them.
the ones with LEDs all around the head seems a bit of a waist.

I've only found one style of bulb like this and sellers want £10 per unit.
What sort of bulbs are you going for and where from?
Any information on how you get on would be great.

Also, have you thought about doing the festoon style bubls in the sun visors?
I'm trying to find the correct size of festoon but finding it very hard. they about quarter the thickness of normal festoon bulbs.

No mate havnt looked yet! The ones i got from halfrauds are the multi type ones and there not so bad, just not paying £50 for 8 of them!

It is alot of money for what they are.
it much cost less than £2 to make each one.

I'll keep looking and let you know if i find any thing.

Ok guys I've done mine now (I just did the front roof ones, the boot ones, and the glovebox ones). I found this write up for the job. Its ridiculously easy (how many forum junkies does it take to change a light bulb!lol). The write up is for the A4 B6 but its still applicable to our B5's.....

DIY: B6 A4 - Interior LED Lighting

IVe had some LED lights to test in the back of mine and they just flashed, not sure if they were knackered or if they just didnt work with this car. Ive also used the replacements in a clock cluster before, and they were really 'directional', and it didnt really look good with the clocks in the dark.

The ones in the sun visors are the same type that go in your reg plate lights.

Changed my reg plate bulbs today and they look to be about the same as the ones in the mirrors.

i went to my local dealer today and noticed that both an A1 and Q7 in the showroom had LED footwell lights, would it be possible to buy these type of bulbs from audi parts and put into my older A4 ?

They are way to small to be the same as them.
To thin and to long.

That depends, facelift cars have the sunvisor lights mounted in the headlining, and quite probably use the same festoon bulbs as the numberplate lights.
pre-facelift have the bulbs built into the visor itself, so are most likely different.

That depends, facelift cars have the sunvisor lights mounted in the headlining, and quite probably use the same festoon bulbs as the numberplate lights.
pre-facelift have the bulbs built into the visor itself, so are most likely different.
Pre-face lift, the lights are in the visor it self.

I've been meaning to get a normal festoon bulb and do a comparison pic but i've not got round to it yet.
Well, thats a bit of a lie. I attempted it yesterday day but i need to take my number plate holder off to get the lights out. I'll try again later, its to cold and i'm way to warm and comfy.

EDIT:=- Part number for the bulb in question is N 904 697 01 C5W-12V3W

Last edited:
i went to my local dealer today and noticed that both an A1 and Q7 in the showroom had LED footwell lights, would it be possible to buy these type of bulbs from audi parts and put into my older A4 ?

Part number for that bulb is N 017 753 2 (W5W-12V) Only for 4B0 947 415 A. This one reads like its a normal 5W-12v bulb.
It also lists 4E0 947 415, Unless this is the LED bit, I'm not sure.

The last number, 4E0 947 415, is the LED light unit.

Its about a tenner.

Wether it will actually fit a B5, i've no idea.

I've done most my interior lights now, not all LED, all orange.

2 in the front footwells, 2 in the top light and a led bulb in the toplight and 2 in the rear.

Want some rear footwell lighting though.