Broken down S3 :(

IOM-S3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help, just fitted my forge 007p diverter valve, then drove about 10-15 miles with no problems.

About to head home so thought i would give it a bit of boost, it boosted and then noticed the engine management light was flashing on, it then started to missfire so i pulled over turned it off, got out of the car to look and now have a very strong smell of egg around the car ( CAT i thought)

when i start it now it is very lumpy.

The car is mapped also, does this sound like coils to you? as i know the previous owner did replace one of the coils twice when he owned it.

any advice would be great

thanks a lot

Lee

id said its a coil mate, sounds the same as when one of mine went!

Hi mate,

Thanks for that, you think its just a coincidence that it happened after i fitted my new diverter valve lol. is it best to replace all coils?

Thanks Andrew :) what part of the wiring, the wires that run along the back of the rocker cover?

Coils are very tempremental and the slightest change or mod can throw them out, the only thing with them is you get no warning and they can just go, simple as that!!

Very annoying and frustrating, but a quick and easy and more importantly not too expensive.

thanks for all the reply peeps, much appreciated. So horrible when it happens as you just think the worst. Best to get genuine coil packs? might do all 4 to be honest

Coincidence but it's a coilpack, instead of replacing one, buy 4 Hitachi bolt down coilpacks and replace them all

Hitachi bolt down? take it they are standard item mate?

ahhhh i see, take it they are better? i have a 2001 s3 AMK

Hitachi Coilpack: 06B 905 115E (x1) £25inc vat GSF
Bolts: N10117405 (x2)
Seal: 058 905 261A (x1)

More reliable than the push downs, i'll be getting them on mine eventually

Last edited:
is there anyway i can tell which coil it is? i am thinking of replacing all of them, but dont want to do that and it not fix the problem :(

is it worth puttin new plugs in too?

is there anyway i can tell which coil it is? i am thinking of replacing all of them, but dont want to do that and it not fix the problem :(

take out the coil packs 1 by 1 until the car doesnt change its idle then its that one you need to change. u WILL hear the difference

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help, just fitted my forge 007p diverter valve, then drove about 10-15 miles with no problems.

About to head home so thought i would give it a bit of boost, it boosted and then noticed the engine management light was flashing on, it then started to missfire so i pulled over turned it off, got out of the car to look and now have a very strong smell of egg around the car ( CAT i thought)

when i start it now it is very lumpy.

The car is mapped also, does this sound like coils to you? as i know the previous owner did replace one of the coils twice when he owned it.

any advice would be great

thanks a lot

Lee

This can also be true of a large boost/vac leak....

Check the pipes to the DV are on tight and that the DV is still securely in the turbo intake pipe - as this not being in properly would allow uber unmetered air into the system.

Check the work you've just done first before parting with cash.