Difficult gear selection - clutch fluid time?

heeman10

Audi driver since Dec 08
Reaction score
Hello all. Of late, I've noticed that selecting first and reverse gears has been getting harder and harder. Sometimes I need to lift the clutch pedal up, push it down again and be a bit more persuasive with the gear lever. My car is just about to roll over to 80,000 miles, and had a remap 3,000 miles ago (BKD 140), so I was expecting some signs that the clutch was tired round about now. No clutch slip reported yet. I've done 45,000 miles in this car, and 90% of the first 30,000 of those were crawling up and down the motorway.

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder now if perhaps my clutch fluid is tired. My A3 is the first hydraulic clutch car I've owned, but I believe they drink their brake fluid and clutch fluid out of the same reservoir. I asked Audi not to change my brake fluid at the last service (since I was supposed to be fitting my S3 brakes shortly after and thought I'd save paying their rates), so it's probably 2-3 years since the fluid was changed. My other suspicion is gearbox oil, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced and cured what I am describing.

What do we think? Has anyone experienced similar problems? Second gear is a smidge notchy, but I can't really notice an issue with higher gears.

My first is the same mate. That's on a 09 with 22k miles. And only when it's cold it seems!

I had my gearbox oil changed along with a gearbox treatment placed in and even when cold the gears just slip in like a glove, feels like a new gearbox. I couldn't recommend this more highly , DO IT!

If you end up needing to pump the pedal a few times to make it a little easier you might have air in the clutch line, try bleeding it with a power bleeder.

If you change the clutch/brake fluid you will have to bleed it anyway.

Okay thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping for some warmer temperatures so I can see if it is just the sub-zero temperatures thickening the gearbox oil up so much that it doesn't want to give me any gears. Interesting to hear that a 2009 car is the same - makes me lean towards cold temps being the cause.

mine does the same, and pretty much only when its cold so must be something to do with the cold temps
cant wait for this cold snap to be over, shame tho as the engine does like the colder intake temps!

I hear you there ;) Pick-up in second is brilliant!

mines the same 58 plate with 25k i think just down to coldness but as jungle said... my engine loves the cold! My evoms is V loud lately!

I have the same difficulty getting mine into first sometimes. Ususally lift the clutch to about half way and first slides in fine.

I'm drivin a courtesy a3 from audi atm as mine as in getting getting serviced. The car has only 700 miles on it and i have the same issue with it!

I have the same difficulty getting mine into first sometimes. Ususally lift the clutch to about half way and first slides in fine.

I'm drivin a courtesy a3 from audi atm as mine as in getting getting serviced. The car has only 700 miles on it and i have the same issue with it!

If the gears go in easier by lifting the pedal up then the PP figures could be bottoming out on the disk when you push it closer to the floor. This is caused by a incorrect stack height allowing the PP to be pushed too far. Seen this issue on a SPEC clutch on a B6 A4 1.8t. As a bandaid some A4 owners ended up making smaller slave rods to reduce how far the figures were pushed.

If the gears go in easier by lifting the pedal up then the PP figures could be bottoming out on the disk when you push it closer to the floor. This is caused by a incorrect stack height allowing the PP to be pushed too far. Seen this issue on a SPEC clutch on a B6 A4 1.8t. As a bandaid some A4 owners ended up making smaller slave rods to reduce how far the figures were pushed.

What do you mean by PP figures?

Yeah sorry about that, it should have been fingers and yes PP means Pressure Plate.

Hi Guys Im having the same issue with my 02 130bhp 1.9dti A4, I got the gear box oil changed but problem is still there, Ive only had the car 7wks so not sure if its the cold temp or not, I was told that If I use brake fluid instead of gear box oil it may help but not sure If I want to do that! any suggestions?!

you all need to stop worrying its just the cold temps :D i get this every winter

Correct. We've had a warmer period since Christmas, and are now back to cold, and my early morning gear selection is rubbish on the cold days, fine on the warm days :)