egt sensor location on '03 S3

I got lucky on German eBay for an EGT sensor that was very reasonably priced. Just so you know there are other places. As well as breaking cars, but it is all a gamble obviously

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17704/P1296/004758
17704/P1296/004758 - Error in Mapped Cooling System

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17863/P1455
17863/P1455 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17511/P1103/004355
17511/P1103/004355 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Performance too Low

Thermostat needs changing, EGT sensor sounds like its on its way out and maybe due to the over rich fuelling the lambda probe has bought the farm...

Have you cleared the codes to see which ones return in case these are legacy of a previous issue that was fixed? if not, clear them and see which come back...

If they all come back then change stat, replace lambda probe, clear codes and see if the EGT one returns... if it does then unfortunately you might have to fork out for one...

<tuffty/>

(Thank you in advance)

Looking at your above Tuffty, I've bought the new 050121113C to replace the thermostat. Sorry to ask? Is this just a precaution or from the above did you know it needed changing? I take it this would resolve some issues from the log? I've recently changed the Lambda probe nearest the bulkhead/ (looking down on the engine) located near the turbo/ downpipe... So I'm lost for words.

Will look to do a log tonight but from this will it give me actuals of whats going on when being driven? WOT in 4th and set the timed log going on VAGCOM?

Hoping for the best!! - Just be my luck though.

Hey guys i googled around and saw your post.
I got the same problem with my audi s3 01 210bhp and got this fault codes :

11653366 10153109950717982 776816788 n
11651218 10153109949757982 341290451 n

Is the egt sensor faulty or? and i just purschased a new Diverter Valve have not tried it on yet.

ill check it as soon as i have the time. I tried to look after it today but couldnt find it... where is it exactly?
Thnx for replies.

ill check it as soon as i have the time. I tried to look after it today but couldnt find it... where is it exactly?
Thnx for replies.

EGT probe is in the back of the turbo and requires a 17mm spanner... this can be got to from the top of the engine... the black box of tricks the EGT probe connects too is bolted under the inlet manifold... this can be got to by removing the trim panel in from of the inlet mani revealing the plug... you need to remove the metal plate to remove the black box.. 2 x 5mm allen bolts for the plate, 2 x 5mm allen bolts for the black box... the probes braided cable goes around the gearbox side of the engine and is a bit of a pig to undo..

The part (if your are replacing it) is around £180

<tuffty/>

^^ from the first page of this thread

<tuffty/>

I'm getting 17861 - exhaust gas temp sensor 1 (g235) p1453 - 35-00 - open or short to plus

No eml on but do have poor performance and low mpg.

Duff sensor?

Last edited:
I'm getting 17861 - exhaust gas temp sensor 1 (g235) p1453 - 35-00 - open or short to plus

No eml on but do have poor performance and low mpg.

Duff sensor?
Is it even connected?

<tuffty/>

Not the normal fault code of a goosed sensor... I assume it returns if you clear the code?

Fault suggests a wiring issue tbh... faulty EGT probes normally throw an implausible signal code

<tuffty/>

Not the normal fault code of a goosed sensor... I assume it returns if you clear the code?

Fault suggests a wiring issue tbh... faulty EGT probes normally throw an implausible signal code

<tuffty/>

I've been testing and it seems its plug fault. Give the plug a wiggle and it works. I'll clean it up today and hope it works.