TV Technology

smudge_don

Reaction score
Been looking into getting a new TV for when we finally move into the new house, and i was wanting peoples thoughts on LED, LCD and Plasma

From reviews that i've read, LED is obviously the newest, and most say you can certainly see a difference between LCD and LED. Darker blacks, brighter colours etc

Yet some say that LED isn't as good as plasma which has been about for ages.

Anyone got any experience of plasma vs LED? What would people recommend?

Do a search as I did some writeup on led tv iirc, I've had lcd, plasma & led tv's now, so far I'd recommend LED, they seem to tick all the boxes these days, picture, design, size, etc, lcd is old hat & plasma's are hanging on by a thread imho, which is why Pioneer got out of the game even if the Kuro's were the best TV on the market & are still considered 1 of, if not the best.

Samsung do some of the best led's & I suggest the 7 Series which is what I have in the UK, UE40B7000 although they may have newer versions now, but I have a 5yr warranty anyway & this will be replaced long before I lose that, although atm I dont use it but always looked good when in use.

I have recently bought a sony 60" LED TV and the colour, size, weight, connectivity etc is fantastic, the only let down for me is the viewing angles, the previous Panasonic plasma TV's that I had the viewing angle was far greater, allowing people at the side to get a reasonable view. The LED & LCD TV's are not quite so good from the side, but face on the LED TV beats the plasma hands down.

Do a search as I did some writeup on led tv iirc, I've had lcd, plasma & led tv's now, so far I'd recommend LED, they seem to tick all the boxes these days, picture, design, size, etc, lcd is old hat & plasma's are hanging on by a thread imho, which is why Pioneer got out of the game even if the Kuro's were the best TV on the market & are still considered 1 of, if not the best.

Samsung do some of the best led's & I suggest the 7 Series which is what I have in the UK, UE40B7000 although they may have newer versions now, but I have a 5yr warranty anyway & this will be replaced long before I lose that, although atm I dont use it but always looked good when in use.

Ye i've looked at plenty of reviews and writeups, and everyone seems to have a different opinion

I have recently bought a sony 60" LED TV and the colour, size, weight, connectivity etc is fantastic, the only let down for me is the viewing angles, the previous Panasonic plasma TV's that I had the viewing angle was far greater, allowing people at the side to get a reasonable view. The LED & LCD TV's are not quite so good from the side, but face on the LED TV beats the plasma hands down.

Got a link for that Craig? Not too bothered about viewing angle as the sofa is right in front of the TV in the new place :)

Jord with that size screen you'd need to keep it on extreme slow motion to be able to scan across the screen 1st before the next frame came into play lmfao, feck me how big is your new living room or you planning a drive in cinema.

As much as I'd love to see Sony back at the top of the table for TV's, since the days of trinitron which were without a doubt the best tubes in there day & rightly so, I havnt seen a decent sony flatscreen ever & I've tested few with a view to buy, but they've always let me down on, well the picture was just plain ****, are we seeing a turn of a corner for Sony, are they back in the game?

Problem with bigger screens are the defects are easily spotted & picture quality suffers but then again depends if you're feeding it 1080p all day long with an upscaler I guess, also sky sd was crap too, who knows what happens when they start the ultra hd revolution.

Might go test some new Sony sets now if they're that good.

Last edited:
New living room is pretty big :)

And i just want a decent size TV for TV and games, and then i got the HD projector for movies :rock:

TBH mate the led will make the projector look silly imho, you'll use the led for everything I reckon when you compare with the projector.