Wheel Bearing collapse

Connor_scotland

Reaction score
Website
www.scottishscoobies.net
Well

Wheel bearing collapsed in the car yesterday and i reckon it will of destroyed the hub aswell.

Whell has about 6 inches of play in it....

Anyways I was wondering where will be best to get a new hub and what models can i get one off.

My car - Audi A4 Avant 1.9tgi on a V plate

Any passat/audi a4/a6 with the tdi engine... You need to check what cv joint you have as there are 2 types of bearings fitted 75 and 82 mm and also what cv joint its fitted to the hub ! Ussualy the same engine had the same cv joint and hub up to year 2000 however there are many variations out there.

quickest way to check is to compare the bolt in the CV.

75mm bearings have a 14mm allen key, 82mm ones have a 17mm allen key.

I would imagine your car will have a 75mm bearing, and if so you can use the front uprights from any 1.6/1.8/1.8T/1.9TDi A4.

Wasnt it howling?

Was wierd as hell i was on my way back from London (driving to Inverness) 565miles I had already driven this a few days before.

Got to the borders and the bearing was howling a tiny bit and i mean tiny. The at Stirling i slowed for a round aboud and could hear a crazy grinding and checked the wheel and it was toeing out at the top past the arch by a few inches, quickly jacked it up and it was just hanging there.

I have had bearings go in my Impreza but its taken a fair few months of howling if you know what i mean. No other damage luckily.

What years of car can i get the hub from mate?

Any B5 A4, C5 A6 or B5/5.5 Passat, so long as it has the correct 75mm bearing.

I assume were talking about a front bearing here?

If its a rear then its a bit different.

I have a pair of front hubs with the larger spindles from my tqs that are fine if you need one.

Rear is a completely different story.

The hub and brake disk are one and the same on the rear of a FWD A4.

You will probably need a new stub axle, which is specific to the B5 A4 although its the same on all FWD models.

So you need a brake disk and stub axle from a FWD B5 A4 along with some new wheel bearings. And you'll also need to transfer the ABS reluctor over onto the new disk.

You would also need a long breaker bar and a very good 8mm alen socket to break the carrier bolts free. Soak them in wd40 or use a torch as its very easy to damage them bolts heads. If ypou round up the heads then a larger Torx socket will need hammering onto it and they ussualy came off ! As aragorn pointed, reluctor rings need swapping from your old discs or buy them seperate from ECP- they are 6 quid each- less hassle when installing ! I would do the rear discs in pairs and i will swap the bearings on both wheels. Use quality grease and do not overtorque the bearings !

Where the hell do you find ABS rear reluctors for £6? Cheapest ive found is £14 & £3 postage on ebay for mine..

EDIT: i see youre on about the quattro ones, the FWD ones are twice the price..

Last edited:
You can use the same disk. The bearing is inside the stub axle, and the disk comes off first.

IF you decide to renew the disk, the reluctor ring for the ABS is inside the disk, they are £17 delivered off ebay for a FWD car. I would try and swap them over if i were you and save some money. As above you should do them in pairs which would end up costing a packet, as shoes would need to be done too.

Take the hub bolt and wheel off, smash the disk and heatshield off, take the stub axle off, jobs a good 'un.

YouTube - FKAutoWorks Audi A4 B5 1.8T Rear Brakes and Rear Wheel Bearings DVD Have a look here, just what you need.

Where abouts in scotland are you? If your anywhere near Helensburgh ill give you a hand if you need it.

Last edited:
The bearing sits inside the brake disk itself, as i said above. The hub and brake disk are one and the same.

The stub axle is just a tapered cone.

There are no shoes on the rear of a B5.

You MAY get away with just fitting new bearings to the disk, and fitting a new stub axle, but without seeing the damage its impossible to know.

Some pics so you can see what i'm on about:

W01331617234BRE.JPG

333501118.jpg

I should add that the links connor posted dont apply to FWD cars.

FWD A4's dont have independant rear suspension, they have a torsion beam that looks something like this:

8-13-08-RearBeam.jpg
8-13-08-RearBeam.jpg

Bit of a high-jack (sorry).

Am I right in thinking that if I replace my disks i need to replace my bearings as well or it it just recommended?

If its a FWD, then yes, unless you want to tap the races out of the old disks and swap them over, and lets face it, the bearings are about 12quid, so why not just fit new ones!

If its a FWD, then yes, unless you want to tap the races out of the old disks and swap them over, and lets face it, the bearings are about 12quid, so why not just fit new ones!

Yup FWD.

I'm building up a work shop list of bits that needs doing and this will now become one of them.

Thanks.

Probably a daft question, but what are the tell tale signs of a worn wheel bearing?

Just jack the car up and wobble the wheel. Any play could point to it.