Temp sensor reading 97c

harps21k

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My temp sensor on the climate control is reading 96c an te gauge reads 90c..
The fans kick in at slow speed at 100c on climate control and 90c on dash gauge.. I ha the water pump and thermo stat changed, so it not that's... Also the fan control fuse box had melted (common thing on S3's).. The fans come on ok when the ac is turned on and at 100c on te climate control 49c trick...

Could it be my temp sensor faulty? As the coolant looks ok and does not boil...

Sorry for the incorrect spelling, iPhone cuts out letters when I type fast...

The dash gauge is designed to read 90 degrees even if the engine temp goes a little above to prevent the very reason you are posting this.... the engine temp varying between 90 and 100 deg is normal for everyday use but if the gauge followed this all the time then everyone would keep thinking they have a problem with the car... the gauge only starts rising when a threshold above the second fan kicking in... not sure what it is but I would assume if the temp starts rising much beyond 100 deg then its a genuine problem rather than operating variance and then the gauge will rise to indicate there is a problem...

See this a lot on the dyno logging with vagcom where the engine temps regularly hit 100degs under load but needle is resolute at 90deg..

Its by design and nowt to worry about :)

<tuffty/>

At least that gauge movement is now understood..
But I dnt understand why my fan is only kicking in @ 100-102c on the climate control.. What is the temp got to be for the slow fan to kick in and the fast fan speed to kick in? I was told the slow fan should kick in at 93c and fast above 100c..

Could my fan themo switch be messed up? Or anything else?

I think it comes on around 96, if your temp needle is showing 90, and stays there, like tufty says it is normal.

It looks like u are right about the needle guys.. but ain't happy the first fan kicks in at 101c on climate control, why the big delay if 96c should be it.. The fan both work fine, when the air con is on and when the slow speed comes on... Is it worth changing temp sensor?

You can change the temp sensor mate, for the amount of money it costs, for your piece of mind, you may as well do it.