Digital vs SLR Test

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
Decided to take a few phots on a mates Nikon SLR to see how different the pics are just on an auto setting as I am considering upgrading my camera which is just a Fuji Finepix S5700.
Two are from the fuji and two are from the Nikon SLR. No editing hs taken place. Bit of an experiment for me really......

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0525.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Second 2 pictures look much nicer, better contrast and colours much more vivid. Which is which....??

Are they taken with the same lens on same focal length? If not perhaps not such a fair comparison.

I left the tripod in exactly the same position and just swapped cameras. No, they are not taken with same lens. The Fuji is the standard digital so lens wont remove and the Nikon is with the lens that came with it when originally bought. My understanding is that the sensor( this is not the word I am looking for, but will do!) is much bigger in the SLR thefore collects more info and should give you a better base for better pictures.

youre right, the sensor on any DSLR is bigger and generally better than any point'n'shoot camera, so the images will be clearer, less noise and over all better.
But its not all ways the camera that makes the images, its the person behind the camera.

If youre looking to upgrade to DSLR or just generally upgrading, think about what your going to use the camera for and if youre happy spending up to £1k on lenses if you want better zoom or wider angle.
Most bridge cameras has a really good range of optices, 20mm all the way up to about 300mm. if you buy a DSLR you'll get the kit lens which could be any thing from 18-55 or 18-200 for canon, 18-105 or 70-300 for nikons (This all depends on which lens kit and camera you go for) and more than you and you need to put your hand in your pocket again.
Some of the bonuses of DSLR is the full manual mode, Bulb, better battery life, faster read and wright times. The down side is the money mainly and the size of it. Its not something you can put in your pocket as your walking through town or a car park. You all ways have this lump around your neck.

In short, think about what you want it for and your budget. DSLR ranges from £350 to £5000.

Hope it helps.

That makes sense, didn't realise the Fuji was an integrated lens.

As well the excellent advice from Axios, I have found that my photography really benefitted from a prime lens, a nice 50mm is good for a few things, portraits, still car pics etc.

As well the excellent advice from Axios, I have found that my photography really benefitted from a prime lens, a nice 50mm is good for a few things, portraits, still car pics etc.

50mm F1.8 is a cracking lens for the price.

I've had a go with a 85 F1.2. The Depth of field on that is shocking, focus on the nose and every thing else is out of focus. I love it.