B7 to B8 how do they compare?

s-line stu

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2007 S-Line saloon 2.0TDI (140) and am thinking of changing car in the next few months. I'm torn between sticking with another A4 S-Line albeit a B8 but am also considering a 318d m sport bmw (which are a bit cheaper).

My car has averaged 52mpg over the last 18 months (90% motorway driving) but I have heard that the newer engines are not quite so economical due to the tighter emission control.

Please could you advise the kind of mpg figures you're getting from a 143 bhp 2.0TDI ?

On paper the bmw is more frugal but from what I've read most owners seem to be getting around 45-50mpg

Thanks in advance.

Stu

I don't do much motorway driving,I am mainly round town to and from work and i get around 42MPG,i have been on a few runs with it on motorways and averaged around 55MPG, before this i had a 1.9Tdi B6 and the i used to get around 48MPG and 62Mpg out of that on simlar runs.

But i wouldn't change my car for the world love it to bits even if i have had a few niggles with it and hassle with my local inept Audi service stealer.

Had the same choice myself. A 318 business edition sport or the Sline. Having had a B7 Sline I decided to stick with the four rings and I'm glad I did. o.k, no sat nav but two of my mates ordered the 318 sport 140ps and it doesn't come close to the looks of the B8 parked next to them. I have covered 17k since Sept, mostly motorway and have never looked at the figures. It is the 143ps model and I will check tomorrow and feedback.

The biggest issue was the wait. Their cars took 6 weeks max to delivery, mine was closer to 13. Poss more Audi's being ordered?

Thanks guys, I am more swayed to the Audi (I'd be buying 2nd hand - approx £19-20k budget) as although I could get a newer lower milage BMW the Audi has more kit, part leather, bluetooth, sd card slots, better stereo etc.. and I'm much more familiar with the VAG brand having owned 2 A4 s-lines and 6 golf GTI's!

Mid 50's mpg on the motorway would be fine - I commute a busy stretch of the M42 which is limited to 60 in peak times so do the ideal run for economy. I like the balance of reasonable power and good economy that the 143 has and find mine a great motorway cruiser which I'm sure the B8 is aswell.

eno394 would be great to have your feedback - sounds like they are not too different to mine which is good news.

Hope this is correct! The 2nd computer is saying 44.1mpg based on 3773 miles covered. Not the most economical driver though.

How do they compare?Both have thier own advantages, the b7 was better built, but the b8 has more toys.However ive had both and prefer the b7.