A4 130 TDi Sport Confusion??????

MarkWizard

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

Firstly nice forums everyone. I've just bought one of the above after owning a Golf GT TDi 130 for a few years with a brief period with a Volvo T5.

I'm confused and am 99% certain I have the 130 bhp model (log book not arrived yet) and the service book does quote 96KW. It only has a 5 speed gearbox and a red "i" on the TDi badge, its the 2002, 52 reg model.

How can I be sure that its the 130bhp model as its nowhere near as quick as the Golf was (I appreciate a heavier body and 5 gears)???

Also are there any known problems with this engine / gearbox combo?

Thanks in advance!

look in the spare wheel well should be a sticker with all option codes on it.
Find the engine code, you'll be able tell the BHP from that.

Welcome aboard.

Information I have in the archives is 1.9TDI (100) has 5-speed Manual and 1.9TDI(130) has 6-speed manual based on July 2003 Price list. Not sure if anybody else can shed some light on this?

In the Service book it should say the power under Engine Output.
If your book says 96kW = 129BHP = 131PS (Calculated Here)

So a discrepancy in Gearbox maybe?
To check further type in all the 3 digit option codes listed in the Service Book into this website for a full breakdown of the factory fitted items - this will also indicate engine power and transmission type.

I think they have 6 speed from 03 on i know they definately have 6spd on 04 plate
mine is a 51 plate 130 sport and is 5 spd
the 5 spd wont make the car any slower and also has very little effect on the final drive 6spds give shorter ratios between bottom and top and theres definately no issues with this combo
as for feeling slower they feel a little heavier but theres not that much in it overall between a 130 golf and A4 130 .

Golf GT TDI's were 150bhp... the "plain" TDI's were 130bhp (assuming we're talking about Mk4's).

edit: whoops, looks like there might have been 130bhp and 150bhp GT TDI's... as well as 130bhp "plain" TDI's.

Last edited:
....and this is the A4 (b6) section ................

iv not seen a 130 with 5 gears, only 6, but that's not to say they are not out there,

why not call Audi and give them the reg and they will tell you there and then what it is.
Its only the later ones are 6 spd definately .

Mine is 04 6 speed. Also aux belt is different from the 5 speed. They changed it in june 03. The engine cover is silver on the older engine pre 03 if i'm correct?

whats the engine code? and what was you golf4? arl? (150) asz? (130)

Thanks guys, its definitely the 130 engine with the AWX engine code. The golf I had was a ASZ which I presume is the same but with the 6 speed box. The car has covered 108K miles and had my local mechanic change the gearbox oil with proper Audi stuff, not cheap but made a difference. He did say that Audi sell two types of "approved" oil but they only use one of them when they do a change as the other stuff is "crap"??