Connecting air vent ambient lights

Az

Hard slammed!
Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a search for this but got nothing back for the air vent ambient lights, so was wondering if anyone can help me out?

I want to connect the ambient lighting which is inside the air vent scrollers, I have pulled a couple of air vents out and I have the wires and lights (I'm assuming led's) in place which must have been done in the factory, there is hardly any length on the wires which makes it near on impossible to see or find out where the wires lead to.

So does anyone know how to connect them up? I gather that audi pre-install the wires etc and it's just a case of connecting them up some how?

Also does anyone know which wire becomes live on the headlight switch when the side lights are turn't on? I have so red led strips which I also want to fit under the footwells.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Az

You will need to make your own connections, from memory i soldered bell wire on to the originla plugs (WHERE THE LEDS ARE FITTED) linked them all together and then connected them to the headlight switch, i also extended the loom down to the footwell lights,( I made a new cut out on the drivers side as the original hole was too far to the right,and used the same red lights as are in the door rather than leds as unless you use a resistor the leds are a little bright for ambient lighting), i'll have a look at my headlight switch tomorrow as long as it's not chucking it down and give you the pin numbers for the connections.

So thats what you guys are talking about......i already have this on mine

Well that means that you had the ambient lighting option ticked from new then! Both my old 8L S3's had it too, but unfortunately not my A4.

Well that means that you had the ambient lighting option ticked from new then! Both my old 8L S3's had it too, but unfortunately not my A4.

Its not that simple.... I had to retrofit ambient lights to mine.

Pin numbers from headlight switch pin 10 (brown) is 0v and pin 17 (grey/blue) is the var. 12v, stolen from woorlords original "how to guide", very useful it was too.

Do you still want a pic of illuminated vents ? I can pop out and take one if you like....

This thread has got my interest, my old A3 had vent lights, but not my A4!

I've just been out to my car and popped out one of my vents. I can see the wiring connected to the vent, but I can't pull the vent out very far as the wiring disappears off down the ducting.

Where are the other ends of the wiring likely to be, does anybody know?

Is there a technique to pulling out the vents to verify if wiring exists?

They're only a push fit, no clips or anything, so just pull them out carefully and wiggle them a bit.

The led's and a small amount of wiring should be already fitted to the vent, there should be a plug clipped to the bottom of the vent to connect to once you've made your loom up. I made mine from some old led wiring from a PC which already had some two pin plugs attached that fitted the sockets on the cars led wiring.

It's a nice little mod, if a bit useless, but red lights look cool, right?! :)

Cheers, yeah and lighting is good, its a geek thing :)
I shall have to do some proper looking into the how to, where to wire up, tools etc.
First thing it to check the led is even there, willl have a wiggle at lunch time :D

Hmm I couldnt seem to get a good grip to pull one out, any more tips?

Just realised this is in the B6 forum, I am messing with a B7 :(