S Line handling

cejsmith

Reaction score
Does any one know if the S Line pack improves the handling over the sport setting on the A3, or is it just the 18” wheels that are different?

Afaik the S-line *does* have a lower suspension than the sports. It should be -25mm compared to the -15mm on the sports model.

Don't know if only the springs are different or if the dampers have also been changed...

I can only compare the suspension of my S-Line Sportback to the default suspension of my Alfa Romeo 147 and the Alfa was way harder. S-Line handles a lot better though. 147 has over sensitive steering as well.

I have to admit that I am not 100% sure of the 3dr A3, but what I said already should be true for atleast the Sportback. And if not in the UK, atleast in Finland /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The UK spec for the S-line seems to be a bit different than here anyway, since here you get 17" wheels even with the S-line, and you have the option to get 18" (for extra cost ofcourse)...

I also remember reading that the S-Line is 25mm and sport is 15mm. That's the German market at least.

I tried both the S-Line and the Sport and ended up ordering the Sport. The S-Line had a harsher, sometimes jittery ride and 'harsh ride' doesn't mean better handling...!! The A3's handling is 'average' at best, so looking for ten tenths is kinda pointless. If you want a little more real world comfort, go for the Sport, but if aesthetics are your primary concern (and your fillings are all new or well secured) then go for the S-Line.... You'll be happy enough either way!

Think we have had this discussion before but kind of agree with both sides.
Afaik (and told by the dealer) the S Line IS different having different suspension and lower springs (the dealer also said stiffer anti roll bars). Also, this doesnt always equate into better handling overall and the sport is extremely good too.
The big thing for me (having taken them all out) was the brakes (on the 3.2 Q) they are MUCH better than the smaller brakes through the range and also the Quattro just has SOOOO much traction on the road.

Are you saying that the 3.2 S-Line's brakes are bigger / better than a non-S-line 3.2's? I was thinking they were the sam: 345mm vented fronts and vented rears...

When I ordered my A3 3.2 I ordered the S-Line suspension option. The option codes indicated springs (-25 mm) and shocks. I wonder about the sway bars?

Ok.

Yeah, the 3.2's 345mm front discs are big... And the vented rears are only on the 3.2.

Anyone know if the front discs are mounted on a seperate hub, à la R32?

And anyone know the exact specs of S-line chassis vs sport chassis?
We know springs and shocks are different, but what of sway bars (anti-roll bars) and alignement specs?