I think my Battery has had it! (Audi S3)

Poke13

Reaction score
Website
www.jcwsdesign.com
Hi guys,

Well this morning I opened my car with the fob fine then got in turned the key to engage the priming of fuel pump for 2 seconds (like I always do) but then as I turn the key to start all the instrument lights/info panels dissapear and not even a click from the engine! Everything seems to have no power now (I think as I turned the key I may have pressed the central locking lock button on the key fob which at the same time as starting may have overloaded the battery??!).

The car seems to have no electrical power now or at least so little that it cant function anything on the car, the central locking won't work with key or fob! Didn't have long to inspect as I had to get to work asap.

I knew that my battery was on its last legs because over the winter it has been getting a bit slow at starting (but that was in all the snow and ice we had). But was really hoping to get this to last through until next winter but seems that dream has gone!

What you reckon anyway guys?

try charging it , if it still fails then a new one is about £65. Mine goes flat if I leave it stood for 2 weeks or so ive turned all the interior lights off just to help a bit but I just charge mine every now and then if Im not running the car for a while.

My battery only seems to do 2 years then they are dodgy, probally caused by not doing many miles a year

Cheers guys, yeah I've looked into bosch ones, I am tempted by the top of the range one as I hate things like batteries giving trouble and am interested in this AGM technology but they are a hefty price.

Bosch Automotive Parts - Batteries - Cars: S6

Here's the range of bosch batteries:

S3 Petrol 96-03

But I'm sure a £65-80 would be fine!

I will give charging a go to see if I can make it last a little longer but I have a feeling its blown a cell or something? Is that even possible??

Anyone got any more ideas on this?

Hopefully charging it will see it through but I'm not gonna kid myself this thing might actually be broken, I haven't seen the battery itself past the cover (only owned the car since April 2010) but I have a feeling it will be the original Audi battery.

If it's been playing up, it's probably fubar now.

They only last a few years normally. I cannot imagine charging will be a long term fix assuming it takes one.
Did you jump start the car after that to check the charge?

If it jump starts and continues to run, it's charging.

No jumpstart I had to jump into my mums car and get off to work quick sharp haha. I think the charge is okay as I only do short runs of around 3-4 miles normally and it has kept going steady and after longer runs it is noticeably more lively to start due to longer charge.

Will try a long steady charge tonight to see if that breathes some life into it, but from the symptoms I think it could be dead!

your interior light should have come on if it did have the power to unlock the doors, check your terminals are tight on the battery, it maybe indeed dead but no harm in trying...its just unusual for car batterys to die completely overnight

tried the car since getting back from work and it did the exact same thing again. It seems to have got some more power enough to power the central locking and lights and primes the fuel pump but no start. So thinkin it maybe fuse now.

Yeah okay I have the cover off the battery and the weird extra bit on top off, havent tried wiggling the terminals but they looked good battery looks old, its an old varta not sure if its OE equipment though.

Where is the fuse box?? Cant find it for looking!

Its at the side of your dash when you open the drivers door, it sounds like the battery mate to be fair, just sounded odd that you had no life at all in your other post....

I know, bit confused but its pointing to battery. The fob is working to open and lock now but its flashing the indicators when opening but not when locking?!! It's gonna take a charge to eliminate.

Thanks for replies so far guys!

Guys it's sorted! Loose connection city! Must have been from when it was at the garage having the drivers window fixed. All is good now, it seems the battery may have a bit of life yet! Cheers guys.

Last edited: