Tappet noise ???

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Basically as above when driving and I let of the accelerator pedal I can hear a ticking tappet noise I'm presuming my cam tensioners worn as when I touch the pedal again it goes (ie takes the slack out the chain) can any one clarify wether they have had this problem and did the tensioner fix it and if so what sort of a job is it to do ???

replaced one on my 2.4 v6 , wasnt the easiest to do but reading on the internet the 1.8 is easier ...
problem comes with making sure you have a good seal so it doesnt leak oil afterwards.
other problem is price of the part , i managed to get a good s/h one from somone braking a a4 2.4 on ebay.
if yours is not tapping on tckover i'd not be to bothered untill it starts to get a little more noisy , other thing to try
is removing the sump and checking the oil pick up pipe for blockage.

mark

It's definitely the chain i hear it when I let the engine speed drop by just free wheeling in gear as soon as I tap the accelerator it goes also can hear it from rocker cover when I rev it whilst parked when engine returns back to idle it's quite as a mouse on tick over and just recently been serviced with 0w30s fully !!

It's been in for 4 month now and not used a drop of oil it made a difference with the k&n oil filter aswel !

yes, but its too thin to adequately protect the cams etc, especially when it gets hot.

switch to a 40weight next time you change the oil.

I think am guna it's done 4k since last serviced it and I can get that grade oil from work the total quartz stuff. Was thinking of doing the seafoam through the vac pipe that goes to the DV but I'm a bit worried to try as I don't wana screw anything up any one tried it ??