ECU differences?

PARKER

Reaction score
Hi,
After my last car had so many problems i decided to scrap it and buy another, the main thing was that i had to be able to swap my k04 and matching ECU. So both cars are APU 1.8t one is Sep 99 and the other feb 2000. I have just noticed one ECU ends AA and the other AC. What will the differences be? I have googled it and a golf forum said that different numbers wont work even if i swap the clocks aswell. Is that true?
thanks for any help.

I would hazard a guess one is DBW and one DBC..

No other reason i can think of. Aragorn is your ECU guru

A quick check suggests 4B0906018AA is for APU engined cars with ESP, EDL and electronic throttle.

4B0906018AC doesnt exist though...

4B0906018AC changes over to 4B0997019FX for APU Passat only.

Last edited:
Yeah no mention of ESP or EDL.

The option for auto boxes has those but no manual options

TBH i cant see it being a problem either way.

Just need to recode the IMMO to the new ECU.

You wont be able to swap the cluster, your new car will have an immo3 unit with a digital clock, and the old car will have an immo2 unit with analog clock. The wiring harness is quite different between the two.

I should have said thats its for a passat, sorry, i assumed A4 and passat would be identical. I know its cheeky but i use this site more than the passat one as the people on here seem to have a lot of knowledge. Thanks for the help. I guess that i will have to get someone to code it and see what happens.

Similar, but not identical!

What you propose will probably work, but if the AC ECU is mapped you'll probably lose ESP and MAY trigger an ABS fault code in your newer car.

Do you still have the '99? I might be interested in some bits off it if you have.

Its actually the 2000 thats being broke. i thought the 99 would be ok because its only 6 months older, so i think its the AA thats mapped. i do still have the car, its not in bits yet as it needs to be able to be moved in and out the garage its at, so bits like the suspension and brakes get swapped so it can still be moved. not sure if i will try to sell it sort of whole but i guess not as some bits i would like to keep as spares.

okies, the later ESP ECU will most likely work in the earlier car, subject to being able to code the immo. It may well have a permenant fault code about an ABS missing signal, but you'll have to try it and see.