Help!Starter motor problem?

paul_e88

Reaction score
Hi,

It's about a '04 Audi A3. When the winter came i noticed that the engine starts one or two seconds after i try to start it, meanwhile the starter motor makes its noise, but just a little slower, like it's a replay. :blink: This problem becomes bigger if i don't move the car for a couple of days. For example if i don't move the car for three days, it starts very weird, after 3 seconds or more, time in which the starter motors sounds very "sick". You can hear the rotations, they are very slow but while i hold the key to start, it rotates faster and eventually starts the engine.
One time i tried to start it, i rotated the key in the ignition, the starter motor made some small noises like it's rotating, but just not enough to start the car, and then it stoped, even though the key is rotated in the ignition and was trying to start the engine. I pulled the key out, inserted it again and tried to start it. This time, after 2 or 3 seconds, it started. The battery was fine, i could start the radio, start the air conditioning before my second attempt, so surely it can't be the battery.

Also, the spark plugs are good, everything seems ok, so i was very sure that the problem is the starter motor.
But, recently, the car refused to start. I was sure it's the starter motor so i used another car until this one was fixed. But while i was gone, my father tried to feed it electricity with his car, and after this, it started. He keeps telling me that the battery is the problem, but it can't be, the battery was just fine, i started everything in the car, like radio, lights, etc and they worked, but the car just refused to start, the starter motor making slow weird noises.

What do you think? Can the electric motor be the problem, and the cold weather just amplifies it?
I must mention that when it's warm, the engine starts ok.
Also, it's a 2004 A3 1.9 Tdi, 105bhp. (BKC)
Thanks.

Last edited: