Dashboard lights

Tangled

Reaction score
I have an A4 1.9TDi and whilst I was driving to work this morning I noticed the dashboard lights came on when I hit the brake pedal as though they were in sync with the rear brake lights. I have had the car for just over 12 months so I assume I would have noticed if this had happened before. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also I cannot get rid of the service light. The method described on gendan.co.uk (i.e. pressing the left button, switching on, then lifting the right button) doesn't work. Does anyone have an alternative that may work?

It's a V reg by the way.

I thought you could only do a service indicator reset via VAGCOM. Just take it back to wherever it was serviced an get them to reset it.

With the dash problem, are the lights just getting brighter with the brake or are they actually switching on and off?

I've reset the service indicator myself using a combination of turning ignition off/on with the computer button under the right stalk.

I can't remember the exact combination but i can check the book for you when i get home.

Thanks to you both.

My mate has been servicing my cars for years and he's very good and very cheap so unfortunately I can't take it back to get the service light cancelled. Thanks low610, I look forward to your response.

The dashboard lights were actually switching on and off as if they were the brake lights but the problem has worryingly corrected itself during a half hour journey this afternoon. It did also slow the indicators down significantly when the brake pedal was pressed but everything is OK now. Perhaps a little moisture somewhere causing a short circuit?

This is the first time I have used this site and it is excellent!

Just checked my manual, Here we go:

1) Switch off ignition
2) Press the button to the right of your computer display while switching on the ignition.
3) You should now see "service oil" on your display.
4) Pull out the button to the right of the computer until you see "service ---"
5) Press this button to clear. You might also get the "service INSP" pop up. Follow the above steps to clear this also.

Hope this helps :)