Clutch pedal tap tap tap vibration

im_audi

Reaction score
Hey all, have recently bought an A3 1.6 fsi sport sportback (05) and have noticed an issue with clutch pedal vibration.

Basically, as soon as the temperature reaches around 90C, I can feel a 'tap tap tap' type vibration when lightly resting my foot on the clutch pedal when the car is idling. The vibration doesn't happen when the car is cold and goes when pressing the accelerator. The car idles at around 850 - 950 rpm and the vibration can only be felt through the clutch pedal.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

This is normal mate.
I used to have a manual 2.0fsi and it did exactly the same. Lightly resting your foot on the clutch and you can feel a slight rumble/vibration through it... but if you even slightly press the clutch down it goes. As you mentioned, it also goes if you rev the engine.
I've driven a couple of others too and they all did the same. It also worried me a bit too when i first bought the car, but asking around other people's cars did it too.

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the response mate. SOS for my ridiculously late response, new baby keeping me real busy!

Anyway, an update on this issue. The vibration was quite strong so took the car to an independant Audi garage and was advised (obviously!) to get the clutch replaced (probably was on it's way out as was real heavy and high biting point). Bit the bullet and got the clutch replaced. Garage said the solid flywheel was fine. However, have noticed that the problem still exists!

As soon as the temperature reaches around 90C, I can still feel a more than slight 'tap tap tap' type vibration when lightly resting my foot on the clutch pedal when the car is idling. The vibration goes when I press the clutch pedal down. Also, in 1st and reverse gear, if I don't use a bit of acceleration, the car judders quite a bit. Gear changes are real smooth though.

Any ideas?

Mine 2L TDI Sport does this. My S3 did it really bad, and eventually the clutch pedal struggled to release, it resulted in the clutch master cylinder replacement. Sorted the clutch pedal problem, but vibration is still there but faintly.

Have now had both the clutch and solid flywheel replaced by my mate. However, it still hasn't solved the problem :sob:! Aaaaargh!!!

As soon as the temperature reaches around 90C, I feel a constant 'tap tap tap' vibration when lightly resting my foot on the clutch pedal. I could probably resign myself to living with this, however, in 1st and reverse gear, if I don't use quite a bit of acceleration, the car judders. This I can't live with. Gearbox is smooth, with no vibration or noises.

Could it be the exhaust causing this? I hear a rumble when setting of. Could it be the timing chain? Now that I know it definitely isn't the clutch/flywheel, I haven't really got a clue!

I'm seriously losing the will to live with car and am close to getting rid! To preserve my sanity, has anyone got an idea? :sos: