Bulb Question

Maxumo

Reaction score
I have standards bulbs in my A3 (H7) and i'm looking for something better for the dipped and main beam.

My owners manual says:

Dipped beam headlights (halogen) 55w H7
Main beam headlights 55w H7

i was thinking of some Phillips X-Treme or Osram Silverstar for the main beam, could i fit something similar the dipped? does the halogen mean i have to get special bulbs?

Sorry for the dumb question!

All the original H7 bulbs are halogen.

Phillips X-Treme are good as are Osram Nightbreakers. All these are halogen.

My A3 has H7's in main beam,dipped beam and foglights. You can put any H7 bulbs you want into all of them.

Just remember that the maximum legal wattage is 55w because you can get 100w bulbs. These are not legal for road use in the UK.

I wouldn't bother doing your main beams. How often do you use them to be able appreciate the upgrade?? Probably not much, the odd flash here and there.

I have night breakers and am very pleased, nice white light. I did have Extremes and they were just as good. You can get night breakers cheaper if you shop about, I got all 4 for £30 and a pair of blue white sides thrown in.

Edit
This is the place £30 + free sides but......out of stock. worth waiting for them though, excellent price. note all four bulbs are the same so just need 2 packs

AutoBulbsOnline Osram NightBreaker 90% H7

Last edited:
Picked some Night Breakers from GSF for £15 so will get them fitted when the missus is home with the car!