This place takes all my money!!!!

sub39h

Reaction score
Ok I managed to get ahold of an RNS-E 2010 from new member 5wany at a very reasonable price. Only thing it doesn't include is the plug&play adapter and new radio aerial. (if someone can point me in the direction of where I can get these QUICK I'd be most appreciative!)

Anyhow, it's just occurred to me that I live in not the best area and often park on the street... so we're back to the age old question of what I can do to stop it being nabbed. I've considered this: welding a bracket onto the case somewhere, and then using those cables you get in libraries and things that stop the computers getting nicked to fasten it to a solid point on the car. Does this sound feasible?

Until I've done something like that I'll be taking the unit out of my car every night. Inconvenient, I know, but considering i'll be very out of pocket if I don't do it and it gets stolen it'll be worth the extra effort.

Damn if you're that worried then dont fit it in the 1st place mate, cause they will totally mess your interior up to get that ****** out if you try to affix it more securely to the car, so you could be causing yourself more financial trouble than you would have with stock fixings, if they ever did try & whip her out.

I've considered this: welding a bracket onto the case somewhere, and then using those cables you get in libraries and things that stop the computers getting nicked to fasten it to a solid point on the car. Does this sound feasible?

Until I've done something like that I'll be taking the unit out of my car every night. Inconvenient, I know, but considering i'll be very out of pocket if I don't do it and it gets stolen it'll be worth the extra effort.

well i reckon thats one way to make sure they will smash the f**k out the interior of your car in frustration! seriously not a good idea mate

taking the unit out every night will be a load of hassle but a better idea then the one above

Oh & I have an adapter set here, cost me £30 & I have a gps antenna that I'd have to check what I paid, you need it fitted or you got vcds to code aswell?

I see your point but at the same time I imagine RNS thefts are opportunistic. They're quick to get out and the buggers can make a run for it. If they have to work at it they risk getting caught. This in itself would work as a deterrent. They try, they can't get it out just by sticking some keys in and pulling out some cables so they bail. It's not totally unbelievable

Last edited:
its not unfeasible, but its also very quick to smash a few more windows or run a key down your bodywork because they will be ******... not worth the risk in making it fixed to the car

Oh & I have an adapter set here, cost me £30 & I have a gps antenna that I'd have to check what I paid, you need it fitted or you got vcds to code aswell?

Don't need the GPS mate, just the diversity antenna and the adapter. I will be investing in VCDS at some point but the HU has me totally tapped out atm

For you to deter any thief, youre gonna have to have this security on show which will just mess up the look of the interior for you!

just insure it, if it should get stolen you get a brand new one. better that than have an ugly interior or have them ripping your insides apart to try and release it from whatever youve secured it with.

yeah as said spec it on the insurance mate, my mate used to have a tv headunit in his car that wasnt removable and when somone broke into it they made a right mess of the dash with there screwdrivers etc... so much so he had to buy a new dash because it was bolted to the car trust me is it worth it for just a sat nav no not at all just put one in the normal way

scale & print this & stick it over the top when leaving for any period of time... :-O

image.img.png

It is a tragic shame we cant leave things alone without the worry of things getting stolen :-(

thanks for all the advice folks (and Khufu for the laugh lol). i think getting it insured separately may be the way to go.

i fitted mine yesterday. hasn't been coded yet but it all seems to be working atm. i will get it coded, but i'm a bit like a kid on Christmas day, i can't wait so in it stays for the moment lol. (if someone local to Brum feels like doing me a favour... :))

looks absolutely gorgeous btw, the graphics are amazing and stuff. worth every penny i'd say. a little annoying to not have a CDC or something to store my music on but hey, i'll live lol. planning on getting some SD cards until i can afford AMI for my iPhone.

PS - congrats on Leeds for winning against Notts. Forest, and India for winning the World Cup. i am a very happy man lol.

i was in a audi a4 cab with factory sat nav and it was crap too the a3 unit is there different ones you can buy for different models the one i saw in the a4 cab was all red with no colour screen at all was that a basic model sat nav or something

i didint know you could get different ones i thought audi only did one sat nav lol all the ones ive seen so far have been the rnse ones was a bit dissapointed with the a4 cabby one didint look anywhere as good

i think there was actually 3 different versions of nav for the 8P. (4 if you count RNS-E's 2 separate generations.)