What next???

poz1.8t

Reaction score
Evening all
Car is a AGU 150bhp model

So far I have a remap, dv, cold air feed induction and a silicone tip. I'm awaiting a turbo revs side mount intercooler.

I'm looking for in long term 300bhp. But at the moment, 240-250 will do nicely.
What can I get out of a k03s with other supporting mods?

I was thinking a hybrid k03. But I think 275 is the max with those??

If I go k03s, what price am I looking at and where. Flea bay is full of Chinese reps.

Any thoughts??

yeah i know 240 is never gonna happen on a k03, i was talking about the k03s. can not find a good k03s anywhere! anyone know a place for them or a place for hybrids?

I think Ko3 hybrid is good for 300bhp+
Agu you will have Ko3 so 240-250 is unrealistic .....200 bhp tops

Most I have seen from a K03 hybrid is just over 280bhp on an Ibiza running WMI... they are still a K04 inside...

Bill is developing a K03 that has the same comp wheel as Welly's K04 hybrid and in theory at least capable of well over 300bhp... the K03 hotside will be a limiting factor here having a smaller A/R than the k04... there are other potential issues with surge etc as this will be a fast spooling little ******... this is being fitted to a Lupo... :thumbsup:

Other than that, 300+ bhp is big turbo time...

<tuffty/>

My mate had his doing 207bhp with standard KO3, he had lots of mods done and a custom map, he then put a brand new Ko3s on with couple of other mods and another custom map, it made 239bhp, id go KO4 pal really.

I think hybrid is the way, 280 would be good, but what you say what bill is developing sounds interesting!! How far in is he?? I'll have to keep my ears open for this!

What's your power delivery like tuffty? 300 on a s3 no probs, but on an a3?

My mate had his doing 207bhp with standard KO3, he had lots of mods done and a custom map, he then put a brand new Ko3s on with couple of other mods and another custom map, it made 239bhp, id go KO4 pal really.

I'd have to change quite a lot of components for a k04 upgrade so might aswel go BT. 239 is good though! Cheers

If your long term goal is 300 then dont **** about with intermediate steps as your just throwing money away. By the time you've baught a K03s, fitted it, messed around with all the k03 specific supporting mods and had it mapped, you'll have spent enough to have baught yourself a GT28RS new in its wrapper, but will only have 235hp.

Personally i wouldnt waste any money tuning a FWD car, but thats up to you.

Start off by installing a decent 2.75 or 3" exhaust system, and a big front mount, as you'll need those for any route you take, and you'll get some benefit from them without doing anything else. At that point, save up and buy a GT2560R (Nissan S15 turbo, sometimes called a GT28R) or a GT2860RS, along with a suitable T25 flange manifold, and fit them and get it mapped in one go. You'll see an nice healthy 300-340hp depending on turbo selection.

Might take a bit longer, but will save you a ton of cash and time in the long run.

If your long term goal is 300 then dont **** about with intermediate steps as your just throwing money away. By the time you've baught a K03s, fitted it, messed around with all the k03 specific supporting mods and had it mapped, you'll have spent enough to have baught yourself a GT28RS new in its wrapper, but will only have 235hp.

Personally i wouldnt waste any money tuning a FWD car, but thats up to you.

Start off by installing a decent 2.75 or 3" exhaust system, and a big front mount, as you'll need those for any route you take, and you'll get some benefit from them without doing anything else. At that point, save up and buy a GT2560R (Nissan S15 turbo, sometimes called a GT28R) or a GT2860RS, along with a suitable T25 flange manifold, and fit them and get it mapped in one go. You'll see an nice healthy 300-340hp depending on turbo selection.

Might take a bit longer, but will save you a ton of cash and time in the long run.

This is the dilemma, if I go the k03s, I can then change to a miltek exhaust plus DP, IC is on the way. 4bar FPR which mapped should hopefully give Me 240ish BHP, then hopefully, later on, this hybrid that bill is testing, whack it on and hit 300BHP and be a pretty quick car.
If I go down the route of GT28rs, all
Other components would need to be changed??

Um not really wanting to chase big BHP numbers, just want it fast and drivable if you know what I mean

Also power delivery would be better with hybrid then BT for FWD im assuming....??

Power delivery for FWD is probably going to be better with the big turbo tbh. The small frame turbos will tend to spool very early giving a huge wodge of torque which will light up the wheels. A bigger turbo spools slower and further up the revs, meaning peak torque usually isnt so high and isnt so spikey. That said, any engine putting 300ish hp down thru the front wheels is going to give traction problems.

Its entirely up to you, but all that money to go from 200 to 230hp is kinda pointless to me.

If you do the exhaust and intercooler now, and do them properly, theres no reason they'd need to be changed for a big turbo. All you'll need to do is build a new downpipe to mate the new turbo to your existing exhaust, and tweak some pipework to mate the new turbo to the intercooler.

I'd also no bother with a sidemount, go FMIC from the beginning.

I see your point mate. I think as you say IC and exhaust now and then BT. got a decent budget to play with. Ive seen some underslung manifold for the gt28rs so it looks pretty standard from the engine bay. (I think tufftys car has one) instead of have the turbo on top. Are these ok?

Also I have bbs LM reps and I will need bigger brakes, will the 312mm setup do or will I have to go 4 pots? Read somewhere that there are clearance issues with LMs and brembos?

I see your point mate. I think as you say IC and exhaust now and then BT. got a decent budget to play with. Ive seen some underslung manifold for the gt28rs so it looks pretty standard from the engine bay. (I think tufftys car has one) instead of have the turbo on top. Are these ok?

Also I have bbs LM reps and I will need bigger brakes, will the 312mm setup do or will I have to go 4 pots? Read somewhere that there are clearance issues with LMs and brembos?

I have a GT3071r turbo mate, completely different beast to a GT28rs... mines been fine and has been on the car for 18 months/15k odd miles with no probs so far.... certainly better than Welly's 2 weeks with his 034 K04 mani..

Have a look at matt20vt's A3 build thread as that had a GT2871r and will give you some ideas too...

Its advisable to upgrade the brakes if chasing BT power certianly if you heading up and over 350bhp but the std 312mm setup can be made to work better of course...

If you get a FMIC and intend to go BT then don't get the std little A3 jobs from ebay... Bill used a larger (custom) version of Forges S3 intercooler that had a deeper core and 63mm ends... the ebay A3 FMICs will struggle with K03 hybrids and be next to useless on a BT...

<tuffty/>

Right a but of an update.
Spoke to my local company who sorted out my remap, and I have decided to for a ko3s hybrid, with s3 injectors, 4fpr, 3" DP and miltek 2.75" resonated system with hidden box. I've sent the uprated side mount back and looking out for a decent front mount kit to install. Going to put on the exhaust and front mount and book it in with them for end of the month to install and give Me a healthy increase in power! Hybrid is from thus company: FR&R Tuning| ECU Remapping| Stage 1, 2 & 3 Performance Upgrades - VAG 1.8T 150/180BHP Hybrid Turbo Stage 2 280-300BHP - (Powered by CubeCart)

I doubt it'll ever reach 300bhp, but a nice 270+ would be nice!
Will get some progress pics up when it's all installed

i take it rods will be on your to do list if your going hybrid? im in the same boat, got a ko3s at the moment and not entirely sure weather its worth going hybrid or just save a little bit extra and go BT

to be honest, when you start moving towards the 300hp mark you want to be thinking about HOW your going to get the power down, my dad has a clio 172 turbo, thats 295hp through the front wheels and is an absolute pig to get the power down in the early gears.
I myself have a k03s AGU a3, pushing a healthy 230hp and that is very good fun and i can get the power down all day long. what i'm trying to say is it maybe all well and good having a mentally fast a3, but it will only be mentally fast if you can get the grip! LSDs arnt cheap :)

also, you could be getting a forged rods for that kind of money in the link if you do some of the donkey work yourself, like changing the turbo etc

Dont think I need rods untill over 300bhp. I'll only be pulling around 280 max. I was thinking of getting a s3, but Ive spent enough on this car as it is. Plus I like the understated looks.

I had a go in my mates golf 1.8t. Thats got a hybrid with 290, and pulls like a train!! Does struggle in first and second but just controll it. Must say tho, in the wet can be a PITA. Mind the hedges!!

I'll hav to look into a LSD if I have issues.

most people will disagree with not needing rods til 300bhp, a few s3s on here have bent rods on stage 1 power, i wouldnt be going any further than i am now without seriously thinking of getting them done

how many miles are on the car will ore than likely determine if you will need rods and also forged rods are not indistuctable they still break for 270bhp in fwd you will probs need:

Hybrid turbo
fmic
forged rods & pistons
lsd
and some very good tyres

i would estimate the best side of 4k if you do alot of work yourself

personlly i would have gone for the s3 as in the wet and dont forget this is england and 9/10 times it rains so thats gonna be a pig to control look at an astra vxr see how they control in the wet will give you an understanding of what it may like

As I said, I've driven a 290bhp golf, and yes it was a handle, but you don't drive crazily most of the time. I not going to rag it in the wet, there's just no point.

Looked into an LSD. £600 seems worth it, already have good tyres on, LSD can be installed at a later date.

How about stripping it out? Prawn got good results

I like the comfort of it, I only drive it weekends as I use my work van during the week. I do want to to some track days, which I will strip for the events.