Car struggling to go over 70mph??

J8TT X

Reaction score
Hi,
Had this problem on the weekend which has never happened before, could anyone shed any light to why it happened?

Drove to liverpool with a full tank of diesel, boot full and 4 passengers, the car felt sluggish and slowly increased to around 70 when it wouldnt go any faster, my foot was all the way down, and only reving upto 3k.
I dropped a gear to try and rev higher but it just wouldnt budge.

The next day on the way back it drove fine? so I dont think it was due to weight?
Its not happened since.

Thanks

Sounds like the car has gone into 'limp mode'. Usually caused by under or over boost of the turbo.

You need to scan it for faults first to identify the reasons.

Thanks Mike

I thought it wouldnt be limp mode because it drove fine afterwards?
but I maybe wrong.
Its going for a service next week so will have the scan then.

yeah that sounds like limp mode as well...

happened on my 1.6 once randomly. called out Audi Roadside and they couldn't find anything wrong... may just have been a one off glitch but if it's due a service they should be scanning it anyway so you're doing the right thing by having them check

Definately sounds like limp mode, will reset if the ignition is turned off and back on again, but the code should still be there in the Engine Module.

Sticky turbo vanes.

Paul

Well, you have nice alloys, maybe your car just didnt want to go to Liverpool...:lmfao:

This sounds like what happened to me when I went to Manchester last year. Turned out I needed a new Mass airflow sensor, cant remember the price but didnt do it through Audi, had it done at a local garage and it was fine afterwards.