brakes keep clunking

205man

Reaction score
my front brakes keep clunking when i brake, and its becoming a pain so wondered if anyone has idea of decent solution.

i have 312mm discs fitted and just before xmas i fitted new pagid front pads, and they were fine then after abbut a month they started to make a clunk when brake , and it also does it if you press when stopped. if you press pedal hard they stop doing it for a bit then start again.

i took them apart cleaned them and put new copper grease etc back on and was all good again for about 6 weeks then started again, so did the same and was good til now.

its almost as if the pads are slighty loose in the caliper, and whilst the grease is there they stop but as it dries/wears or washes off etc they become loose.

i ahd read on audizine that someone had same problem and he stopped it with abit of tap round ends of the pads where they sit in the caliper, was thinking doing same but by using heat shrink as it will look neater and wouldnt undo

but looking for ideas...........as really dont want to have to fork out for new pads again unless i have to

hi mate not a lot of people know that brake pads are directional . genuine audi pads have an arrow on the stainless steel spring that sits in the piston try swopping them around it solved my clunking problem straight away

hi mate hope you sort problem, just ondering where you sourced the 312mm brake kit????

You need to work out where the movement is.

It'll either be in the pads or sliders.

If its the pads you may find that "tweaking" the spring on the pad to grip the piston tighter will help.

to fit 312mm disk use audi tt /s3 carriers and b6 discs
i thought the tt carriers had the wrong hole spacing also standard discs on a b6 are 288mm i upgraded my discs to 312mm on my b6 i kept the original calipers but i had to get the carriers from a 3 litre cabriolet

no you can use tt carrier........thats what ive got, best trying to find some 2nd hand but they like rocking horse poo

not all a4 b6 are 288, the 2.5 tdi and 3.0 are 312mm, i use mtec grooved and drilled

thanks mate new about the carriers but was unsure if discs would fit because tt/s3 are 5x100 but thanks for clearing this up is as simple as just using the b6 discs :) thanks a million, oh one more thing can u use the same caliper or do u go for the tt ones???

i work at euro car parts so sourcing parts is easy enough just need to know what to source lol..

Standard pads.

Yendall: if you have a B6 the spacing is wrong, as B6's use the same spacing as the S4, but its correct for a B5.

Dont use the TT caliper, its pistons are smaller.

yes, same clamping force at a larger distance from the hub gives more braking torque.

The larger disk also has a larger thermal mass.

Think of it like stopping a roundabout in the kids play park. Spin th eroundabout up and try stopping it by hand a foot or so in from the edge the try it again by had at the edge, it's far easier to stop the further from the centre you go. More stopping power for the same force applied

so keep my standard 288mm pads but go redstuff or something:) then get 312mm b6 discs, sorted
thanks all