Clutch Problem

Inertiauk

Reaction score
Website
www.yourlocalcomputerguy.co.uk
My clutch pedal hit the deck last night and I had to be RAC'd home,

I already knew about the common fault so I suspected this and really I diagnosed it without even looking.

I went out and got a clutch mechanism from a golf MKIV at the local breakers for £20 (with switch which i need too, and master cylinder) because Audi and VW were both out of stock of the parts needed to fix the common fault.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I pulled my lower dash trim expecting to find the master cylinder clips broken and it disengaged, but to my untrained eye it looks fine, and the cylinder looks to engage and disengage ok, so it doesn't seem to be the common fault of the pedal mech breaking ?

Thanks

What do you think ?

Last edited:
will be the seals in the MC mate if everything else looks ok... the other typical issue is the pedal breaks..

<tuffty/>

Don't know of one off hand but google is your friend :)

Try this for starters Replacing the Master clutch Cylinder Q - uk-mkivs

Never done the MC myself but know a man who has and he did it at home on his drive... not too easy to get to on and S3 and bleeding the MC is done by bleeding the clutch (nipple is near the starter motor)

<tuffty/>

Got the master cylinder off, my mate covered himself in fluid when he closed the pedal :-o

It doesn't look faulty, how can I check if it is ?

Gonna fit myother one and try to bleed it up, see what happens, don't have high hopes for it :-/

If the pedal has gone to the floor then 9 times out of 10 its the MC... just change it and bleed mate is the only real advice... you could try just bleeding your existing one but these things do go and the only recourse is to replace and bleed... don't let the fluid level in the brake reservoir go below half way as thats what feeds the clutch...

<tuffty/>

My slave failed and pedal hit the floor, Gearbox off job if it is the slave.....

to bleed the clutch and mc do you need a special brake bleeder or can you just do it with a piece of pipe similar to your brakes i.e., press clutch pedal, open nipple, allow pedal to get to floor, close nipple and take foot off pedal, then repeat...? No need to bleed the nipples on the MC then?

Update :

It was my Bleed Nipple t-piece, clutch now fixed, cost £22.odd from Audi.

The clutch is now spot on however the mechanic has let air into my brake system doing the job, so whilst the brakes work well still, theres a touch more travel in the pedal.
I will book it into awesome GTi for a brake fluid change and bleed, it was due one anyway.

also I have a boost leak (well it sounds like one) at high revs. I will have to remove the terracotta pipe and charge pipe and refit because I don't think the mechanic did it good enough.