TIMING MARKS?

AGU-TURBO

Audi a3 1.8t AGU
Reaction score
noticed when i was putting my cam belt on the other day that the cam sproket was either a tooth in front or a tooth behind the the marks on the rocker cover. Which is it? I seriously need to ivest in a haynes manual LOL. i will post a pic when i get home

Last edited:
Ummmm, it's on the mark on the rocker cover, not in front or behind.

That's why the mark is where it is...?

Et voila:

P1050833.JPG

I think you mean the timing looks either a tooth in front or a tooth behind, never bamg on yes?

That's normal until the tensioner has been popped and tensions the belt up. Don't quote me, but i think you set it as close as you can ahead and when the tensioner kicks in it pulls the mark back.

I think you mean the timing looks either a tooth in front or a tooth behind, never bamg on yes?

That's normal until the tensioner has been popped and tensions the belt up. Don't quote me, but i think you set it as close as you can ahead and when the tensioner kicks in it pulls the mark back.

Not normally on the non VVTs, well not in my experience at least. Every time I have timed my lump up (and I have done it a few times... :whistle2:) I always set the marks spot on and crank x 4 to ensure they come back to where they should be before pulling the grenade pin.

The belts are tight as hell to get on anyway, and the tensioner makes little initial difference in my experience. I think it's mainly there so as the belt begins to slacken over miles and miles of use, it is kept tight by the ever raising tensioner.

The VVT models on the other hand never want to sit on the timing marks, well not the head one at least, That is very much as case of have it slightly advanced and then pull the pin, then it will normally settle back after a couple of spins.

must be different on A4's and the S3s/A3s i have done. Remember you are using the same belt again and again that may be a contribuatry factor.
I have always had to set that half a tooth advanced and then let it settle back after a few rotations. maybe i am just unlucky.....LOL

PS none of the A4s i played with have been VVT equiped cars and the A3's and S3s were, just assumed that's how it was.

I'm not using the same belt mate, new belt every time....

Horses for courses, as long as it works.

OUCH so thats about 20 gaskets and belts now, you are one crazy man...LOL

Yeah, certainly is a few... :-/

I hate throwing them once used, but I wouldn't fit a used belt, no matter how few miles it had done. Not for less than £20.

must be different on A4's and the S3s/A3s i have done. Remember you are using the same belt again and again that may be a contribuatry factor.
I have always had to set that half a tooth advanced and then let it settle back after a few rotations. maybe i am just unlucky.....LOL

PS none of the A4s i played with have been VVT equiped cars and the A3's and S3s were, just assumed that's how it was.

Yeh thats what i meant,

Ive just been out to strip it again ready for when mush sends me this auq head so i can chuck the cams and lifters in mine as i have a bad lifter. the belt has done 20 miles and its not very tight every thing got replaced inc both tensioners (chain & belt) god nose why its so slack. How much shaould you beable to turn the belt with you'r fingers (quarter of a turn?)

When i did my cambelt on sunday it was a tooth out. We got it as close as possible which was a bit further back from the camcover marker and then when pulled the pin in the damper it just about pulled it into line so yeah Mark must be right and that its different between A4`s and A3/S3.

Ive just been out to strip it again ready for when mush sends me this auq head so i can chuck the cams and lifters in mine as i have a bad lifter. the belt has done 20 miles and its not very tight every thing got replaced inc both tensioners (chain & belt) god nose why its so slack. How much shaould you beable to turn the belt with you'r fingers (quarter of a turn?)

Did a full cam belt kit and water pump at the weekend and all my marks lined up perfect, to make sure the crank doesn't move, I screwed 50mm long M8 bolt into one of the vacant crank pully holes, to lock it against the engine.

I know a few who have done their belts to have the eml come on for that exact reason 1 tooth out, they set it bang on and the tensioner pulled it back...

Exactly what happened to me, although I never actually started the car with it like that. Compressing the damper back down was lot's of fun!

did'nt you strip your follwers?
ok before then.............. not ok after?

yeh i stripped them, ok before and 2 of them are f*cked now. it wont hold preasure the s*it inside it must of been keeping it ok before. ive stripped the 2 down again and i can't see anything wrong at all,

A lesson to be learnt there leave them alone - lol

Last edited:
lesson indeed

most people know not to touch flames because they burn, they dont need to experience the burn 1st hand (but some do)