8L S3 Battery problems

Crazypete00

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Having problems starting my car. I've been away for 10 days came back and the car wouldnt start. Completely flat battery. i have a battery jump starter but wasnt enough umph in it to start it but i managed to start it with jump leads from another car. went for a drive, probably about 30mins, high revs all the way ;) went to start it again this morning and its completely dead again, not even any lights on the DIS. i've not long had a new battery probably 3 months ago.

This seems to be a reoccuring issue since i've had the car. if i leave it for around 2 weeks i have a dead battery. This is my 3rd new battery in 3 years (halfords warrenty).

Anyone got any ideas? i've checked the terminals and they seems tight, i cleaned up the earth terminal under the battery about a year ago to see if that would help. im going to try and get hold of a multi meter today but is there anything else i need to check look out for?

Bit more info.

multi meter readings.

Checked the battery before doing anything - 2v :blink:
Tried jump starting it using jump leads - no go. checked battery again - 11.90v and dropping 0.01v every second
managed to start it - 13.90v (while running)
Lights, heater etc on - 13.30v (while running)

while checking the battery i noticed something about the fuses on top.

IMG_0129.jpg

the far left fuse with the black cable was extremely hot. burnt my finger! it also looks discoloured and looks like it may have slightly melted the plastic around it. Im guessing this is the feed from the alternator but should it be getting that hot?

Got the same issue mate if I leave car for an hour or a day mine won't start that's after driving it had new altonater 3 month ago but been garage and put the tester on it and said it was at about 13 to 14 volts

When I turn key it got lights but when turn to start lights go dim and middle jumps up and down blag

does your fuse box on the battery look like mine and does the left cable get really hot? only the discoloured nut gets hot, the other end of the fuse is fine.

i think if your car is running 13-14v is normal. aslong as its more than 12v it means its charging the battery. so something must be draining it. going to fix my battery charger tonight and charge my battery and see what happens tomorrow

another update - charged battery all last night. then took it off charge this morning. tested it just now 10 hours later and its 12.69v so seems to be holding its charge fine. going to put it back on the car now.

anyone got any other ideas i can check?

Hey guys,

Having problems starting my car. I've been away for 10 days came back and the car wouldnt start. Completely flat battery. i have a battery jump starter but wasnt enough umph in it to start it but i managed to start it with jump leads from another car. went for a drive, probably about 30mins, high revs all the way ;) went to start it again this morning and its completely dead again, not even any lights on the DIS. i've not long had a new battery probably 3 months ago.

This seems to be a reoccuring issue since i've had the car. if i leave it for around 2 weeks i have a dead battery. This is my 3rd new battery in 3 years (halfords warrenty).

Anyone got any ideas? i've checked the terminals and they seems tight, i cleaned up the earth terminal under the battery about a year ago to see if that would help. im going to try and get hold of a multi meter today but is there anything else i need to check look out for?

Hi I've got the same problem, went on holiday left car in car park for 10 nights got got back (4am :( after 8hr flight) the car wouldn't start, had RAC out and it looked like there was a drain so jumped started it to get home. Then in the morning RAC came back and a did a check measuring the AMPS and pulling out each fuse, even after doing that I'm showing a drain of 0.05 is that acceptable ? Before the RAC came out I went round the car to see if anything was left on glove box light etc but all seems fine. A bit of googling suggest problems can happen with the battery fuse box on the top like you mention, did you find the problem to be with that or the battery ? I did notice before I went away after leaving the car for a 2-3 days without use it was struggling to start then as well so something draining it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Had this also lol but I put it down to not using the car much and often taking it in and out of the garage. Ive switched off all my interior lights to try ans help lower the drain when im only doing short runs or just moving the car.

You can`t really test a car battery with a AVO it needs load to see how its performing. Which battery did you pick as a replacement as I know Bosch do various that will fit. The Bosch silvers are good but I think there are different amp verions of those that will fit the S3.