Jacking up A3/S3

Poke13

Reaction score
Website
www.jcwsdesign.com
Hey guys,

I am hoping to do a few jobs on my S3 (8L BAM) myself like rear discs and pads but I have never jacked the car up before. I have looked and searched the forum but have not found much that explains how to or where they are situated.

Can anyone shed any light before I get down to it with the trolley jack and axle stands?

Thanks

Jonny/Poke13

hi mate

i dont mean to sound funny but should you really be taking on a job like the brakes if your not even sure how to jack a car up?

Reactions: S3-Sandy and shawryboy
the front i use the lower arms to jack on and the rear i used the trailing arms i think they are called

make sure you have a guide to hand for changing discs and pads. Try this forum and even google for the generic lesson. No better way to learn than actually doing it!

Reactions: fanta
the front i use the lower arms to jack on and the rear i used the trailing arms i think they are called

I hope you don't actually use the actual arms! lol You mean the mounts for these on the subframes.

I generally jack the car up with the jacking points under the sills, then whack axle stands under the subframes before I lower it back down.

I understand what u are saying quattro but I have done odd jobs on cars before. I have just not done anythin in the S3 yet but after finding a guide posted here from vwvortex forum it looks pretty straightforward.

Just a little nervous as I don't wanna damage any of the points on the underbody.

So there are proper jack points under sill and a few points near front on subframe next to lower arm mounts?

The quotes I got to have rear pads done were just too much for what I can see is a pretty quick job. So bought mintex discs and pads off eBay for £48.00 Inc postage!

im not sure if its the same on s3's but on my a3 there are actually arrows on the sills showing where the jacking points are, sorry if i sounded abit snotty mate, one of them days! :keule:

I use here,BAM S3 as well

juack.jpg

ditto as vourhees picture above and never had a problem:iagree:

Nice one guys thanks for posting the pic any more photos are very welcome of jack points/cars up on stands etc.

No worries quattro I read my post back and thought I should have said I have done a few jobs on other cars before. I am just nervous of damaging anythin on my pride and joy :) S3's/A3's are such nice cars it really doesn't shock me that there's such a good forum/following as this!

This lips seem to be made of butter when certain trolley jacks are used though :no:

You can buy special rubber pads for certain trolley jacks so you don't damage the sills. The jacking points on the sills are the best place. You can buy special rubber jacking points from audi but they are intended to be used only when you use a car lift which spreads the weight equally across all the points....I found out the hard way and have dented the underside slightly :(

Take a look at http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/114676-jacking-up-a3.html if you haven't already seen it.

just put a plank of some solid wood in between the sill and the jack before raising it.
don't forget some bricks on the front and rear tyres if jacking one end ! usual stuff I'm sure you know about.

mick-lifting-car.jpg

or if you can find him you dont need a jack:haha:

You can buy special rubber pads for certain trolley jacks so you don't damage the sills. The jacking points on the sills are the best place. You can buy special rubber jacking points from audi but they are intended to be used only when you use a car lift which spreads the weight equally across all the points....I found out the hard way and have dented the underside slightly :(

Take a look at http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/114676-jacking-up-a3.html if you haven't already seen it.

Thanks for the info/link Agric04. I have looked into this and the rubber hockey pucks with channels cut out look very useful!

Here's the link to the Group Buy page on Detailing World: - Detailing World -

I use a hockey puck, just get one off ebay - most DW stuff is a rip-off!

Does anyone have a pic of where they sit axle stands?

I realise the lip can be used for lifting now but is there enough room for axle stand too?

Nice one SiGainey, I suppose the guy has machined them especially. How do you find it using a puck? Have you cut a groove at all?

Yeah, cut a groove in it with a hacksaw. There's a briskoda thread on it if you are a member?

Yeah, cut a groove in it with a hacksaw. There's a briskoda thread on it if you are a member?

Nice one yeh looked on eBay and pucks are bout £4 Inc postage but if the DW one is £7 Inc postage I think that ain't bad. I will have a search for that guide on briskoda tho!

I'm contemplating doing my window clip on drivers side now but am slightly nervous!