My first A4 - and i love it!

boddhi

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been a member on here for some time, quietly sitting back and getting lots of info and tips whilst on the search for an avant.

Recently I finally found the one for and I picked it up yesterday. It's a 2003 1.9tdi 130 sport. it's done 95,000 miles and has been fully serviced by Audi up until 78,000 when the cambelt and water pump were replaced. It's in great condition - not showroom but just a few niggles here and there like minor scratches etc. I'll get these sorted over the coming months.

First job to do is the temp sensor or thermostat because it gets up 90 and then potters back down to 70, then back to 90 again and carries on like that. I had an Audi TT with exactly the same problem before and a replacement thermostat sorted it out.

It drives like a dream and I really, really love it.

I'm trying to post up a photo so hopefully it'll work.

Looking forward to becoming part of the forum.

Marc

IMG_0107.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi and :sign_welcome: to the forum, i do like to see annother Avant and what a nice blank canvas to start the modding with,you'll find all you need to know on here and alot of friendly people, oh by the way my temp gauge does the same thing,i'll get round to sorting it one day!!

Thanks guys. Yes - re-map, coilovers, alloys... along with twin exhaust, retrofit cd changer, the list goes on!

Snap! Looks like the front wings have been repaired from the dreaded stone chip rust. Mine is the same colour but the paint is a pig to match. you wouldn't think it given it is just Aluminium metalic.

Hope you enjoy the car

i have the same problem with temp, does not go all the way back down to 70 though. replaced the temp sensor and made no difference.

I'm getting a pump and belt changed soon. hopefully that will sort it as i think its the pump wearing out.. not 100% sure though..

Congratulations on the purchase. My only regret is not discovering them earlier! Fantastic cars. Mines a different engine but I love the how its at 168k miles and it still puts a huge grin on my face when I floor it.

Last edited:
Hi Haytch75

I agree with wishing I'd bought one sooner. I've had some great cars but there's something about this I can't explain. As soon as you sit in the drivers seat, everything seems so well built and it's a real pleasurable place to be - like I said, can't really explain it!

Last edited:
Hi Haytch75

I agree with wishing I'd bought one sooner. I've had some great cars but there's something about this I can't explain. As soon as you sit in the drivers seat, everything seems so well built and it's a real pleasurable place to be - like I said, can't really explain it!

Is it the same thing that makes you get out of a 3 year old ford and when you get into your 8 year old Audi you still feel like it's a much nicer place to be? :)
Of course the only thing to tickle the back of your head now is "should I sell this and buy a quattro?" :idea:

Hi fourcircle.

Thermostat being replaced next week so I'll be even happier! As for the quattro - nah! I had a TT 225 Quattro and wasn't that impressed - especially after the haldex failed. My mate has a 3.0 V6 Quattro A4 Cab and it's ok but there's not much in it to my mind. I'm not a speed freak any more and don't fly around wet bends so for me, FWD will do fine. Another mate of mine has a Sierra Cossie and has converted from 4WD back to 2WD because he says it;s more fun! Not sure about that. Anyway the 4 vs 2 WD drive debate will continue forever I guess.

Marc

if you only drive on the roads i never saw the point of 4wd. i bought it to tow both a caravan and my boat up greasy slipways to launch. 2wd is scary doing that. welcome in to the club.

Totally agree with the towing - not that I can tow for toffee!

Snow - That'll hit in November I expect!!! We live in a small village with a long road out to main A road and it never gets gritted. We would have been completely stuck last year and the year before but my wife's car is a 4X4 mazda so we were ok.

:) yeah it really depends what you need the car for. big engines and quattro are often just luxury and not neccessity... but i'm ****** glad now that I spend 6 months a year driving on snow.
The main thing is having a nice audi that runs well, no matter what engine or 2wd/4wd