oil temp/oil cooler

tangerinedream

Reaction score
hi guys just wondering where your oil temp gauge sat when hot. my computer on ac reads 90 but needle on gauge is more like 100.

have any of you guys fitted an aftermarket cooler and what are the benifits???

mine is a 18.turbo and it sits around about 65/70 c but some times it reads 180 c think my sensor is a bit ify

ya i now what you mean cant stop checking lol

I suspect you've looked at the wrong channel on the AC unit. There are two, 49 and 51. Most guides say 51 is the temperature, however its actually 49, 51 jsut says 90c all the time once the engines warmed up.

Mine sits spot on 90c on the oil gauge, and the coolant temp on 49 reads 91-94c depending on traffic etc.

TBH it shouldnt be that low.

The car has an oil to water heat exchanger, which should heat the oil up to the same temperature as the coolant, ie 90c.

If its sitting lower than this, chances are you have a duff thermostat, and the whole engines running cooler than 90c. The coolant guage lies, and displays 90 once the temp gets to 75-80ish, so you can quite easily have a car thats running cold and get sits showing 90 on the dial.

Use channel 49 on the climate diagnostics, or vagcom to view the actual coolant temperature.