Uprated H7 Bulbs

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
Before I get started I want to say that I know xenons are the way forward, but I can't afford to get genuine at the moment and although I've had them in the past, I don't really want to fit an aftermarket kit to my standard headlights.

Bearing this in mind, what uprated H7 bulbs have people tried, or are currently using? I've been through pages of searches, but there are newer bulbs out now and I was wondering what peoples experiences of them are.

I'm not really interested in making them look blue as I'm not going to fool anyone into thinking I've got xenons and I want to stay legal. I would however like more light and a more white colour to better match the LED sidelights I got in the group buy thread.

I've narrowed it down to Philips X-treme Vision and Osram Night Breaker PLUS.
I've read mixed reviews on both, with some saying they're amazing and others not really noticing a difference.
I'm favouring the new Philips X-treme Visions, but they don't say they're whiter like the Osrams.
:shrug:

Any advice or opinions would be greatfully received.

fitted the nightbreaker 1`s other day and they was better and are clearly brighter than the standards i had in as the sidelights was quite yellow and i got them bundled with the h7 i done a side then compared and quite a bit of difference to be honest but i have not tried the other that you stated to compare the two but the osram are deffo white you can tell on the road

Just to confirm, for a facelift halogen only A3 (like below), would 4 H7 bulbs be required?

0910.jpg

Last edited:
Well yes, 2 for dip and 2 for main beam. TBH the benefit is in main beam because you are not going to see any further with dip as its angled down anyway.

Yes
I had them before the night breakers, absolutely nothing in it TBH so go for whatever is the cheapest.

I am currently using the Phillips Extreme in my A4, and they are very good. Beam colour is white and they are much brighter than stardard bulbs and decent value for money aswell.
A friend of mine uses the Phillips Diamond Vision, they have a blue beam and look much more like HIDS.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_list.asp?cat1=39

Hope this helps.

Any chance of pics at night of the both bulbs guys? ;)

Found a couple of pics on other forums...

Osram Nightbreaker on the left, standard bulb on the right:
angel_eyes359.jpg

Osram Nightbreaker on the left, Phillips X-treme on the right (in both pics):
attachment.php

attachment.php

Osram Nightbreaker on the left, Phillips X-treme on the right (in both pics):
attachment.php

attachment.php

nice find mate.

for me its looks like Nightbreakers are the way forward, purely down to the above pics!

Last edited:
I fitted Osram to my 08 Reg A6 but did not notice a massive difference, they were part covered with a blue fillter which gave a nicer look but only slightly better light. I have read in several places that the Osram's are a bit hit and miss but the Philip's are consistantly an improvement.
If I was to buy for my current A3 I would try the Philips.

Interesting pictures but to be honest they dont tell you much. you would need to take the main beam 2nd picture from the same point as the dip beam 1st to make any sense of them.Or at least have the camera light meter reading the same point IE bang centre of the 2 beams. The amount of light reflected back from the different angles will also make a difference.................................nice idea though :) but this explains why on dip the light seem similar and on main they are not despite being identical bulbs in the right hand beam.