Limited slip diff??

vince, A3 turbo

Reaction score
Alright guys
Has any one put a LSD into there Front wheel drive a3 turbo?
Cheers, vince

I have a quaife ATB, and it's ****** awesome!

Absolutely transforms the traction, if defies logic out of the bends now! really puts it down SO well.

Was embarassing lots of the 4wd machinery at Castle Combe back in April.

most enjoyable :)

How much are they roughly bought and fitted??

Rough price?

it's well worth it!

As for cost, I think the diff is £650 ish, plus the cost of removing the box, plus the cost of splitting the box and fitting it.

I'd imagine it'd be £1200 all in easily!

Defo on list of things to do when I start running towards the 300+bhp mark

Just out of interest ????
Wots it like on clutches does it put any extra strain on it???
And if it does wot sort of clutch would you recommend ????

" vince you getting this bro "

I guess technically having an LSD could put more strain on the clutch.....

I run a VR6 clutch on mine, so havn't had an issue.

Quaife sell them for the S3, i cant see what difference it would make though?

WHAT DOES A LSD DO

As you corner the outside wheel has to cover more distance than the inside one so the diff puts more power to the outside wheel speeding it up.

This has the side-effect though that with a standard diff, as one of the wheels starts to spin the diff supplies more power to the wheel, as it thinks the wheel is going faster because of a corner. A limited slip diff does not do this, it tries to distribute the power more evenly to both wheels.

You still need some differential effect though, or your car would always want to go straight ahead, even when you want to go round corners.

Without a doubt one of the best mods you can do when pushing decent power. Had one on my mk2 golf 20vt, i ran a Quaiffe ATB in an 02j 5 speed box as Prawn does in his A3.

It was immense!! It feels absolutely class feeling the power transfer from side to side, scrambling for grip and shooting forward. And when going round corners planting your foot and feeling the car pull you into the corner as apose to understeering in a straight line of tyre smoke into the nearest ditch.

one of the strangest things about having the diff, is the strange noises you get from the front tyres when going round roundabouts at pace!

You actually hear the diff engage and move power around, in the way the tyre squeal changes!

I havent had one, no. But what i ment was.. i can see how an lsd would be worthwhile in a 2wd car but i cant see there being as good of a benefit in a 4wd car like the s3. Has anyone fitted an lsd to their quattro?